Sep 16, 2010
My new build...

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
OCZ Fatal1ty 700W PS
MSI N94GT-MD512 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB PCIe Video Card
HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
6GB (3x2GB) Memory DDR3 PC 8500 Hynix
Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz Processor

When i try to boot from WinXP or Win7 dvd it just stays stuck on "Boot from CD/DVD" with the cursor flashing.

I have tried a few things already, but i would like to start from scratch and try everything again.

BIOS recognizes dvd drive. I cant seem to find where im going wrong.

What are the basics that i should start with?

Solution
I have noted many "solved" issues/posts stating Windows DVD will not install on "some" older IDE DVDs, with "newer" SATA2 MOBOs. Borrow or try another DVD with preferably a SATA interface.

Possibility - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/dee5c9f9-e8e1-4662-98eb-f4fc79c54b5a

"I was able to install Windows 7 by putting the Hard drive that I wanted to install Windows 7 on the IDE cable with the jumper set to Master and placing my DVD/CD Writer as Slave on the same IDE cable."

rawrmonty

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have tried Load Optimized, and Load Fail-Safe... I have tried using IDE and AHCI.

The Hitachi is connected to port SATA2_3, The DVD Drive is connected with IDE ribbon.

Until then if SATA2_0 failed then try GSATA_0... More than likely it is a problem of compatibility with your old IDE DVD drive. My recommendation is to spend the extra $20 USD on a new DVD/BR drive.

Once the "problem" is resolved place the HDD back to SATA2_0, and enable AHCI if needed.

Found this reference which is about the only one that makes any sense, and goes along with my inital reactions:

"This information is probably not applicable to your problem........but. First, there are several DVD drives that are not compatible with Windows 7. I have seen a listing of known compatible and known incompatible drives but I cannot locate the website at the moment. Are both drives that you have used the same model number? They may both be incompatible.

Second item. I have no problem using one IDE DVD drive or one SATA drive on my Windows 7 computer, but when trying to use two IDE DVD drives, Windows 7 will read only the one that is in the Master position. I spent several hours trying different jumper settings, different IDE cable ribbons, and different positions of the two DVD drives (end of the ribbon vs middle of the ribbon) that I was trying to install. The result was that it appears that Windows 7 simply will not recognize two IDE DVD drives. I finally had to install one IDE DVD drive and one SATA DVD drive to get two drives to work. (Appears to be just one more of the numerous bugs that remain in Windows 7) Do some online scouting and see if you can't come up with a listing of known incompatible drives and see if yours might not be on that list. Perhaps someone here will be able to offer a link to the site."

rawrmonty

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Are you saying the dvd drive is incompatible with my mobo or win7?
Win xp wont boot either, however the with the gigabyte system disk i can boot to the expressrecovery, so i would think my drive would be compatible if i can boot that disc.

I have noted many "solved" issues/posts stating Windows DVD will not install on "some" older IDE DVDs, with "newer" SATA2 MOBOs. Borrow or try another DVD with preferably a SATA interface.

Possibility - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/dee5c9f9-e8e1-4662-98eb-f4fc79c54b5a

"I was able to install Windows 7 by putting the Hard drive that I wanted to install Windows 7 on the IDE cable with the jumper set to Master and placing my DVD/CD Writer as Slave on the same IDE cable."

Solution

rawrmonty

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Only problem with the possibility is my HDD isn't IDE ?

I just tried 3 different IDE dvd drives and still the same symptons. I wont be able to find a SATA drive to test it.
I really don't think the issue is the dvd drive...

Before buying the brand new HDD, i tried using an old SATA hdd with xp already installed. However because of the chipset differences i believe, i had to reinstall windows. When trying to reinstall windows, i got the disc to boot and install windows. But when i tried to boot from HDD with windows installed i kept getting a BSOD. which is why i bought the new HDD

First, my mistake regarding DVD - IDE & HDD - IDE; I needed to finish an urgent install/setup myself and I had no time left to help.

Earlier, I was trying to make a point to use a "SATA DVD" drive to install Windows 7, and reading more - it got me thinking is this an "Original Microsoft Windows 7" disc?? Can you boot it in any PC?

Again, if you set your BIOS to "Load Defaults" i.e. all IDE {no AHCI} and WIN 7 can install with the other PCs the use the other PC's DVD to install WIN 7.

All of the alternatives are mentioned here {USB} install, new $20 SATA DVD, BIOS reset all IDE, and trading IDE DVDs. Verified a "good" install DVD/CD media.

My best assumption is WIN 7 is "missing" the correct DVD/CD driver to begin an installation.

rawrmonty

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
great news, got the install cd to come up after installing a new SATA dvd drive. Thanks for all your help Jaquith.

One more problem maybe you can help me with...
Now i can get the install to run, but once it gets to the part to pick the HDD you want it installed on. No hdd's come up. All the format options are greyed out. I cant get win 7 to recognize the sata hdd.

the BIOS picks it up just fine.

^ A couple of reasons {verify BOOT sequence 1 - CD, 2- HDD}
1. If you are installing the HDD as {AHCI or RAID} you will need to F6 the SATA2 driver i.e. use a floppy <or> created a new Windows 7 Install DVD using http://www.nliteos.com/ or install as IDE. - Load Optimized & reboot.
GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy.
2. Format HDD with 1 partition:

"To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account."

Good Luck & I hope all goes well!

rawrmonty

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
So if i am just doing it in IDE i don't need any drivers?
I don't even get the option to format because the drive will not show.

I have tried loading some drivers, but where would i get the correct one? I tried the gigabyte cd, tried the website. Everytime i put a driver on my formatted flash drive it doesn't detect anything.

^ No, pre-install drivers in that case are not required, {no pre-install drivers}. Simply, install OS and after Windows is installed, restart the PC and then install the other drivers. Ignore the Gigabyte CD/DVD and instead only use the latest on Gigabyte's website.

First, they are not needed. Also, you cannot simply copy over drivers to "create" a custom Windows installer CD/DVD. You would need to use a "scripted" Windows Installer CD/DVD and for that -> D/L and run http://www.nliteos.com/

Again, simply use the Installer CD/DVD from the "borrowed" DVD and install Windows 7. After completed install the drivers - http://www.gigabyte.us/search/search.aspx?kw=GA-P55M-UD2
A. Select your revision MOBO (e.g. click - GA-P55M-UD2 (rev. 1.1)
B. Click the Downloads -tab
C. {Drivers - set by default} -> Input -> Choose your OS:
D. D/L All drivers listed {except: 1. GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode) / Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy. 2. Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility}
E. Install "Intel INF installation" and then the rest.

Good Luck!