2.5" HD not recognized in new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

trankow

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Howdy,

I just put together my first rig. I got a post beep, got super excited, went into BIOS and saw my 2.5" HD listed as a connected drive.

I changed boot priority to the HD 1st. (Note: I'm not using a CD/DVD drive since I'm too cheap to buy one... only using the SATA HD)

I saved changes and exited... then I got the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device."

I searched the forums and didn't really find an answer.

Then I restarted the rig, got into the BIOS, and now the SATA drive isn't recognized. I refreshed the BIOS via the CMOS thing or whatever, changed the SATA cables/connectors, and it still doesn't recognize it.

I can hear the fan in the drive spin during boot, then it clicks and I think it shuts off.

The drive definitely isn't broken because I just took it out of the rig, and put it back in the notebook I'm typing from right now.

Also note: I have another SATA HD from another notebook, and that isn't reading as well.

Little stumped here, because it got recognized on the first boot. I didn't change any settings excepted boot priority.

My guess is that it's related to the MOBO and/or a voltage issue? Please help guys! Thanks for reading.

Specs:

FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6GHz Quad-Core
M5A78L-M LX PLUS Socket AM3+ 760G mATX
4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9

Solution
The only difference between using a 2.5" drive and using a 3.5" drive is the physical mounting of the drive. You have some other issue.

Of course, the drive could be deader than a doornail, either due to defect or damage taken from your mobo or power supply. You ruled that out by putting it in the notebook; that's a good experiment.

If your mobo won't read either of two known good HDDs, then it.s a motherboard or controller problem. I'll bet you a quarter that it won't recognize 3.5" drives, either.

----------------

On further examination, I don't see a step where you did a Windows install. It looks like you took the HDD out of a notebook and just tried to boot it in the new build. Is this the case? Are there two HDDs in...
The only difference between using a 2.5" drive and using a 3.5" drive is the physical mounting of the drive. You have some other issue.

Of course, the drive could be deader than a doornail, either due to defect or damage taken from your mobo or power supply. You ruled that out by putting it in the notebook; that's a good experiment.

If your mobo won't read either of two known good HDDs, then it.s a motherboard or controller problem. I'll bet you a quarter that it won't recognize 3.5" drives, either.

----------------

On further examination, I don't see a step where you did a Windows install. It looks like you took the HDD out of a notebook and just tried to boot it in the new build. Is this the case? Are there two HDDs in the notebook? Is it possible that you moved the non-bootable one?

With no CD/DVD drive, how do you install the OS?

Solution

trankow

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Install via usb drive.

Well it looks like the problem was the video card. I took it out, and now I'm connected through the onboard VGA. Win 7 is installing as we speak.

Everything is ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.