Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2: Bootable USB Drive?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 16, 2010 8:57:22 PM

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 with Intel 160GB SSD system drive on MOBO SATA controller, Adaptec 5805 RAID controller, i7-930, etc., running Win 7 64-bit. I would like to clone the system disk to a 1TB Seagate Pro USB drive as a bootable device as an emergency backup. I have purchased Acronis True Image and Disk Director that I have used to clone the system disk to the Seagate. I then make it the first disk device in the boot disks and set it as the first device in the boot order. When I exit the bios and restart, the device is not seen as a bootable device and the system attempts to boot from the next device in the list. When I go back to the BIOS both the Seagate and the Intel have disappeared leaving the Adaptec showing, which has no bootable drives. Disconnecting the Seagate and booting into the BIOS allows me to recover and set the SSD as the boot device and all is fine.

Two questions: (1) Will this board boot a USB drive and if so, what must I do to enable it, and (2) might I be able to create a bootable drive on a disk on the Adaptec as an alternative bootable system? Acronis support leaves everything to be desired and they keep suggesting I create bootable recovery media, which I have already done for both Acronis and Win 7 native as well as keeping current backups created via both processes, but no help with my issue.

Also, I'd be interested in any reference material about how selecting boot devices works, what is required for a boot device and why devices disappear that were previously seen.
September 20, 2010 11:42:20 AM

Hello dwightmccann!

Thank you for your post and your question.

The USB drive, if correctly cloned, should boot just fine. Thus, in order to make it bootable, the best way is to
1. Make a bootable rescue media with the help of Acronis Product
2. Take out the source drive and attach it to the machine via USB
3. Plug the target drive in directly to the computer.
4. Boot from the rescue Media and perform cloning operation.

You can find more details in this Knowledge base article.

Should the machine fail to recognise the newer drive as bootable it at least should give you the error, which will help to identify the exact cause of the problem. We would appreciate if you could kindly visit us and tell us in details about the issue. Please keep in mind that you can always contact any Forum Moderator for assistance personally.

Should you need anything else or have any further questions - feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience, we will be happy to help you!

Thank you!
m
l
September 21, 2010 5:11:25 PM

I have been trying to work with Acronis support on this issue but the answers provided have not been helpful. I have booted from a DVD I created using the Acronis utility. I did clone my system image to the Seagate USB drive. I did make it the first hard drive in my BIOS hard drive list. I did make it the first boot device in my BIOS. When I then boot the box does not seem to see it and tries to boot from a later device in the boot order. When I go back to the BIOS the Seagate magically has disappeared.

So, the first question I would have for you is, "Have you actually successfully done this procedure with this motherboard and a USB hard drive or are you simply submitting canned answers from a script that is untested with this setup?" So far, everything that I can do with Acronis I can even more easily do with just the Windows 7 Backup/Restore utilities, but I cannot do the one thing for which I purchased Acronis True Image and Disk Director and that is make a bootable USB hard drive copy of my current system.

Acronis Support said:
Hello dwightmccann!

Thank you for your post and your question.

The USB drive, if correctly cloned, should boot just fine. Thus, in order to make it bootable, the best way is to
1. Make a bootable rescue media with the help of Acronis Product
2. Take out the source drive and attach it to the machine via USB
3. Plug the target drive in directly to the computer.
4. Boot from the rescue Media and perform cloning operation.

You can find more details in this Knowledge base article.

Should the machine fail to recognise the newer drive as bootable it at least should give you the error, which will help to identify the exact cause of the problem. We would appreciate if you could kindly visit us and tell us in details about the issue. Please keep in mind that you can always contact any Forum Moderator for assistance personally.

Should you need anything else or have any further questions - feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience, we will be happy to help you!

Thank you!

m
l
!