MRxSmb event log just started on all home computers.

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I have just started getting these warnings apearing in my event log. I
get one new one each time I browse a network drive. I do not map
drives as I have seen that is a possible issue. I generaly have no
event logs entries with problems except when software crashes. This is
on 3 seperate computers all networked on a DSL504 Dlink Modem /
Switch. I have made no hardware changes. I put SP2 on about a week ago
but the warnings have just started. I could not find anything on
www.eventid.net that seemed to be relevant. I see a couple of people
have posted on this appearing since SP2.

All computers were fresh installed with winxp pro with SP2
slipstreamed as 2 had issues after upgrading. Clean install fixed all
software problems.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3019
Date: 26/10/2004
Time: 11:32:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MAX
The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 cb 0b 00 80 ....Ë..€
0010: 00 00 00 00 84 01 00 c0 ....„..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Max,

I have seen the same messages since SP2 was installed. Most of the time,
it's not an issue, but on one laptop in particular, it disconnects just long
enough to stop a copy or a move. This is very annoying, to say the least,
and I haven't found any answers either.

I'm sure that were are not the only ones to experience this.

If I find a fix or a cure, I'll send it along. Please do the same for me.

Andrew
"Max" <maxnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just started getting these warnings apearing in my event log. I
> get one new one each time I browse a network drive. I do not map
> drives as I have seen that is a possible issue. I generaly have no
> event logs entries with problems except when software crashes. This is
> on 3 seperate computers all networked on a DSL504 Dlink Modem /
> Switch. I have made no hardware changes. I put SP2 on about a week ago
> but the warnings have just started. I could not find anything on
> www.eventid.net that seemed to be relevant. I see a couple of people
> have posted on this appearing since SP2.
>
> All computers were fresh installed with winxp pro with SP2
> slipstreamed as 2 had issues after upgrading. Clean install fixed all
> software problems.
>

> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: MRxSmb
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 3019
> Date: 26/10/2004
> Time: 11:32:35 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: MAX
> The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

> Data:
> 0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
> 0008: 00 00 00 00 cb 0b 00 80 ....Ë..€
> 0010: 00 00 00 00 84 01 00 c0 ....„..À
> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Ok I found some more info but not sure if I should apply the patch.

Here is what the help says.

Explanation
The redirector could not determine the physical characteristics of the
connection, for example, the media type or bandwidth. Typically, this
occurs when the computer uses a tunnelled connection such as a virtual
private network (VPN) or a Point-to-Point over Ethernet (PPPoE) to
connect to the Internet. This message is logged for informational
purposes only.

User Action
No user action is required

So I am wondering if my home network using ADSL is coming into play
here as I use a ADSL Switch / modem DSL504 and it now appears as a
UPNP device in network settings?

This is an older posting with two links.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11365560~mode=flat

This is beyond my understanding so if anyone can check this out it
would be good. My lan is 192.168.0.1 etc. I do not know what it is
talking about with the loop back? Are there any network geniuses out
there?

I am not using any VPN just a plain lan sharing and ADSL connection
and the modem does all the ppope stuff.

> I have seen the same messages since SP2 was installed. Most of the time,
> it's not an issue, but on one laptop in particular, it disconnects just long
> enough to stop a copy or a move. This is very annoying, to say the least,
> and I haven't found any answers either.
>
> I'm sure that were are not the only ones to experience this.
>
> If I find a fix or a cure, I'll send it along. Please do the same for me.
>
> Andrew
> "Max" <maxnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have just started getting these warnings apearing in my event log. I
> > get one new one each time I browse a network drive. I do not map
> > drives as I have seen that is a possible issue. I generaly have no
> > event logs entries with problems except when software crashes. This is
> > on 3 seperate computers all networked on a DSL504 Dlink Modem /
> > Switch. I have made no hardware changes. I put SP2 on about a week ago
> > but the warnings have just started. I could not find anything on
> > www.eventid.net that seemed to be relevant. I see a couple of people
> > have posted on this appearing since SP2.
> >
> > All computers were fresh installed with winxp pro with SP2
> > slipstreamed as 2 had issues after upgrading. Clean install fixed all
> > software problems.
> >

> > Event Type: Warning
> > Event Source: MRxSmb
> > Event Category: None
> > Event ID: 3019
> > Date: 26/10/2004
> > Time: 11:32:35 PM
> > User: N/A
> > Computer: MAX
> > The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

> > Data:
> > 0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
> > 0008: 00 00 00 00 cb 0b 00 80 ....Ë..€
> > 0010: 00 00 00 00 84 01 00 c0 ....„..À
> > 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> > 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Ok a difinitive answer.

It is a XP SP2 issue.

Head over to microsoft for a patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889000

That will then point you to another knowledge base article with the download.

Max

TRENDING THREADS