Do SSD run hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

master_nz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Planning on buying a OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5" SandForce SSD SATA3 today, but need to know of these drives run hot or not? as this may change my case choice. Along with the SSD i will be installing 5 normal drives.

I'm currently going for the Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Mid Tower Chassis as its got 6 3.5" bays that are covered by the 2 120 mm front fans.

I would like to go for the HAF X buts it only has 5 3.5" bays covered by the 230 mm fan. Meaning that i will have to put a drive in the hot-swap tray that isn't being actively cooled.

Along with question above what case what your guys recommend?

Solution
SSDs run significantly cooler than the typical hard drive which make sense as there is no platter spinning at incredible speeds. For the most part, the SSD will remain cool until it is transferring or working with incredible data where one can feel the change in temperature and it may get warm. I know of several people that have simply installed SSDs with tape on the inside of their desktop computers if that helps at all. Its nothing to be concerned about.

redberd

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
No they do not run hot. I have six of them and they only get a little lukewarm. :) Just put my hand on mine right now and it is room temperature. They have no moving parts.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
A SSD is just a flash memory device with a (S)ATA connector. They don't get much warmer than USB flash drives or CF cards. Additionally, they're generally made in a 2.5" form factor so fitting one in a 3.5" bay tends to provide more than ample airflow for cooling.

thessdreview

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
SSDs run significantly cooler than the typical hard drive which make sense as there is no platter spinning at incredible speeds. For the most part, the SSD will remain cool until it is transferring or working with incredible data where one can feel the change in temperature and it may get warm. I know of several people that have simply installed SSDs with tape on the inside of their desktop computers if that helps at all. Its nothing to be concerned about.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.