Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard problem right out of the box, help!

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 17, 2010 12:26:39 AM

Just got new motherboard (GA-P55A-UD3), new PS (Seasonic X-650) and processor (i7-860) after RMA’d all of them for the same problem. After installing proc and cooler I hooked up both motherboard cables, plugged PS in and touched off the power switch pins to boot after beard boarding just these parts. All I get is short continuous beeps. I have touched bios reset pins and removed battery from 15 mins and replaced with same result.

I had the system built and running for three weeks and one day it froze never to awake for me again. Pulled everything out and bread boarded the thing on a wood table. The troubleshooting guide I read on this site said PS, MB or proc could be bad in that order. Now I have the same thing with all new parts. Odds of the same failure again with new parts does not seem probable.

What am I missing here?

More about : motherboard problem box

September 17, 2010 1:57:34 AM

That's odd i have the same mobo as you and Ive never had any issues with restarting. What have you done as far as troubleshooting goes? Do any LED lights light up on the mobo itself when you power up.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:06:45 AM

Since my first post I have added 1 stick of memory and received 1 long and 1 short (Memory or motherboard error) post beeps. Added video card and got 1 post beep, system stayed on for about ten seconds then rebooted itself, over and over and over. All LEDs light up, I think I have my second bad board from Gigabyte.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:39:46 AM

Are you sure the power supply is good? What GPU are you using?

Beep codes:

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.
Start testing the motherboard from the bottom up. I'd take out the Graphics Card, and the RAM. The start it up with only the CPU and see if you get any beep codes. You should get the beep code 1 long 1 short indicating a Memory problem (like no RAM) or 1 long 2 short indicating the graphics card is missing.

Are you sure the power supply is good? What GPU are you using?
m
l
September 17, 2010 3:07:27 AM

Yes, PS is good, GPU is GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD.

As far as beep codes, I never received a video error code and I went through the steps of:

1. Bread boarded the thing on a wood table

2. Started with motherboard, proc and cooler with PS only and all I get is short continuous beeps

3. added 1 stick of memory and received 1 long and 1 short (Memory or motherboard error) post beeps

4. added video card and got 1 post beep, system stayed on for about ten seconds then rebooted itself, over and over and over

Never received a video error code.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2010 3:53:51 PM

Hi there,

One thing to consider when you have trouble booting, or if your system will boot, but then restart is whether you have the correct RAM modeles for your motherboard. Check the list from GA's recommendations for this board.

The URL is:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

It specifies: 1.5 Volt DDR3 Ram Sticks, rather than lower voltage ones

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
 Dual channel memory architecture
 Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
 Support for non-ECC memory modules
 Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

What RAM modules are you using, and what are the specs on them?
m
l
September 18, 2010 4:31:52 PM

Hello,

I used G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ which is the third one from the bottom on the first page of the recommended memory list. Specs are Cas Latency 9, Timing 9-9-9-24, Voltage of 1.5V, ECC=No.

Since I beard boarded the MB with only the CPU, HSF and PS and only received an post code of short continuous beeps indicating PS problem not the 1 long and one short for MB or memory error doesn't this mean something else is wrong?

That is why I went through these steps:

2. Started with motherboard, proc and cooler with PS only and all I get is short continuous beeps

3. added 1 stick of memory and received 1 long and 1 short (Memory or motherboard error) post beeps

4. added video card and got 1 post beep, system stayed on for about ten seconds then rebooted itself, over and over and over

Also, I have four sticks of this memory, from two separate purchases and I tried one of each in step 3 to attempt to get past this.

Are the beep codes not always what they are stated "they could be"?

Did I not follow through this logically?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2010 6:21:23 PM

hookbender said:
Hello,

I used G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ which is the third one from the bottom on the first page of the recommended memory list. Specs are Cas Latency 9, Timing 9-9-9-24, Voltage of 1.5V, ECC=No.

Since I beard boarded the MB with only the CPU, HSF and PS and only received an post code of short continuous beeps indicating PS problem not the 1 long and one short for MB or memory error doesn't this mean something else is wrong?

That is why I went through these steps:

Also, I have four sticks of this memory, from two separate purchases and I tried one of each in step 3 to attempt to get past this.

Are the beep codes not always what they are stated "they could be"?

Did I not follow through this logically?

Hello,

GA uses only a few beepcodes, and they are fairly generic. Here are the ones they use
Beep Code: Description:
1 short System boots successfully
2 short CMOS setting error
1 long & 1 short Memory or MB error
1 long & 2 short Graphic card error
1 long & 3 short Keyboard error
1 long & 9 short BIOS ROM error

Continuous short beeps Power supply error or PSU failed
Continuous long beeps Graphics card not inserted properly

Since you are successfully getting through the System Initiation and Setup Phases of the Boot process, single short Beep code, the RAM and Video card are OK. You've chosen recommended RAM sticks which is good.

You are logically going through the steps to determine the cause of a failure to boot properly.
Couple other suggestions are to have nothing else connected to your mother as you test it out, no hard drives, DVD or CD burners, no USB flash drives. Just the CPU, heat sink, RAM, and Video. A successful POST would be seeing the GA flash screen, a single short beep, followed by a command line on your monitor " [Non System Disk or Disk Error] and no reboot.
Make sure you have applied the thermal paste properly, and the Heat sink is firmly attached. Also make sure the accessory 8 pin cable for additional CPU power is connected properly.

The first discussion in the MB section called the Gigabyte Guide by Bilbat, has a section on "boot loops" and their causes.. Read that thru thoroughly and see if you can find an answer.
m
l
September 20, 2010 12:39:42 AM

The result in step 2 is to be expected. No motherboard will be too happy without any RAM installed.

First thing to do would be to clear the CMOS by shorting the apropriate pins. Now make sure you have installed the RAM in the two white slots. Installing RAM in the other two slots on their own will cause issues similar to the ones you're expeiencing.
m
l
!