Using your laptop as a monitor for other comp's, Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

was wondering if anyone out there knows how to use your laptop LCD
monitor as a monitor for other computers. Or is it even possible?
Maybe it's possible to back feed into the VGA output (Thats what I
wanna do). I have no idea. Just curious. Any feedback would be
appreciated. Thanx.

Tram Good <the.frist@gmail.com> wrote:
> was wondering if anyone out there knows how to use your laptop LCD
> monitor as a monitor for other computers.

Log in to the other computer from it.

Normal protocols like X are network based. And there are others aimed at
windows systems, or platform neutral.

Peter

I've never tried it, but it came up on the screensavers quite a while ago.
Basically.. if the laptop is working.. you can run software on the machine
that lets you set it up as nothin but a dumb monitor for another machine.
(that one needs to be win2k or xp tho.

the site is:
http://www.maxivista.com/

I'm gonna download it and try it.. could be what you need.

As for actually hacking the lcd off and making that work.. good luck. from
all reports the hardware necessary is more expensive than a good off the
shelf lcd.

Aaron

"Tram Good" <the.frist@gmail.com> wrote in message
> was wondering if anyone out there knows how to use your laptop LCD
> monitor as a monitor for other computers. Or is it even possible?
> Maybe it's possible to back feed into the VGA output (Thats what I
> wanna do). I have no idea. Just curious. Any feedback would be
> appreciated. Thanx.

In addition to that mentioned
o UltraVNC is another application - free
---- works with many platforms
o XP Remote Desktop is for use with another machine running XP-Pro
---- useful for a laptop for portability, a desktop/workstation for power
---- or where you want to do a dbase search taking minutes (lousy on laptop I/O)

There are a few others, but UltraVNC (further on from TightVNC) is popular.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/panaflo.htm (Free Delivery)

Actually, I just read an article about this very subject about an hou ago.
In the current issue of Computer Power User, they talk about software which
does this: Bartels Media MaxiVista. The web address is: www.maxivista.com.