slow IVS show

This morning (a little after 10 Central) I accepted a show on IVS. It
was 2 minutes from some Replay called "Blueko". It's being received
VERY slowly (only 24% complete after over 5.5 hours). According to the
speed, it looks like someone's doing IVS with a v.92 modem. I didn't
know that was possible.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx

still fall for that scam."
11 answers Last reply
More about slow show

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > This morning (a little after 10 Central) I accepted a show on IVS. It
    > was 2 minutes from some Replay called "Blueko". It's being received
    > VERY slowly (only 24% complete after over 5.5 hours). According to the
    > speed, it looks like someone's doing IVS with a v.92 modem. I didn't
    > know that was possible.

    Sounds like the "bargain" DSL package and someone doing multiple sends.
    Some of the guys on Poopli have huge uptream b/w. I've gotten stuff in a
    couple of hours.

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 19:15:24 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> This morning (a little after 10 Central) I accepted a show on IVS. It
    >> was 2 minutes from some Replay called "Blueko". It's being received
    >> VERY slowly (only 24% complete after over 5.5 hours). According to the
    >> speed, it looks like someone's doing IVS with a v.92 modem. I didn't
    >> know that was possible.
    >>
    >Sounds like the "bargain" DSL package and someone doing multiple sends.

    Yes, the speed is also erratic, like the connection is being used for
    other things too.

    >Some of the guys on Poopli have huge uptream b/w. I've gotten stuff in a
    >couple of hours.

    I now have an upload bandwidth of 512Kbps.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:40:22 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 May 2005 19:15:24 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >>> This morning (a little after 10 Central) I accepted a show on IVS. It
    >>> was 2 minutes from some Replay called "Blueko". It's being received
    >>> VERY slowly (only 24% complete after over 5.5 hours). According to the
    >>> speed, it looks like someone's doing IVS with a v.92 modem. I didn't
    >>> know that was possible.
    >>>
    >>Sounds like the "bargain" DSL package and someone doing multiple sends.
    >
    >Yes, the speed is also erratic, like the connection is being used for
    >other things too.
    >
    >>Some of the guys on Poopli have huge uptream b/w. I've gotten stuff in a
    >>couple of hours.
    >
    >I now have an upload bandwidth of 512Kbps.

    It was at about 56MB (56%) when I went to bed last night, at a speed
    of around 1.5KBps (12.4Kbps). This morning there was a "not found"
    error message".

    I'm now in the process of receiving my other suprise, from "Tringali".
    It's coming at about 60KBps (480Kbps).

    --

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > I'm now in the process of receiving my other suprise, from "Tringali".
    > It's coming at about 60KBps (480Kbps).

    That's me - sending you my "super-low quality" show, recorded on Medium,
    to see if you have any words of wisdom. Pause it, and you can see about
    a strange 50x50 grid overlaying the screen. It's very strange, and only
    happens on one channel (sadly, CBS where many good shows are).

    My DSL connection is 768kbit up.

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:06:48 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> I'm now in the process of receiving my other suprise, from "Tringali".
    >> It's coming at about 60KBps (480Kbps).
    >
    >That's me - sending you my "super-low quality" show, recorded on Medium,
    >to see if you have any words of wisdom. Pause it, and you can see about
    >a strange 50x50 grid overlaying the screen. It's very strange, and only
    >happens on one channel (sadly, CBS where many good shows are).
    >
    >My DSL connection is 768kbit up.

    At this time, I've received 468MB out of 1616MB (28%). A very rough
    estimate has it being complete at about 7PM tonight.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:06:48 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> I'm now in the process of receiving my other suprise, from "Tringali".
    >> It's coming at about 60KBps (480Kbps).
    >
    >That's me - sending you my "super-low quality" show, recorded on Medium,
    >to see if you have any words of wisdom. Pause it, and you can see about
    >a strange 50x50 grid overlaying the screen.

    This seems to be a result of the compression. See below.

    > It's very strange, and only
    >happens on one channel (sadly, CBS where many good shows are).
    >
    >My DSL connection is 768kbit up.

    The difference in the quality settings on the Replay is mainly in the
    compression, and this does qualify as "super-low". Perhaps the signal
    was compressed in the process of transmitting it. What is your source?

    I also watched the local news (as well as the next show) on my local
    CBS channel (carried by DirecTV) and got a much sharper picture (and
    that was even using Replay "Standard" quality). It looks like
    something happening on your end (digital cable compressing the signal
    too much?).

    There's just a small chance of it working, but you could always try a
    signal amplifier (if you have cable internet, don't use it on that).

    --

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > The difference in the quality settings on the Replay is mainly in the
    > compression, and this does qualify as "super-low". Perhaps the signal
    > was compressed in the process of transmitting it. What is your source?

    Plain ol' analog cable.

    And, when I watch that same channel without the replay, it looks fine,
    so I don't think it's the cable's fault. It's definitely the Replay
    that's encoding it like that, or perhaps it's built in tuner.

    Weird huh?

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:43:44 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> The difference in the quality settings on the Replay is mainly in the
    >> compression, and this does qualify as "super-low". Perhaps the signal
    >> was compressed in the process of transmitting it. What is your source?
    >
    >Plain ol' analog cable.
    >
    >And, when I watch that same channel without the replay, it looks fine,
    >so I don't think it's the cable's fault. It's definitely the Replay
    >that's encoding it like that, or perhaps it's built in tuner.

    You've also shown that it's not the Replay, since that works on other
    channels.

    It's probably an interaction between 2 different compression systems.
    That video was compressed at some time before it came to you. The
    first compression (I have no idea where) isn't making the picture look
    so bad, but is somehow producing artifacts that the Replay's
    compression doesn't work so well with.

    In case it is the built-in tuner, is there any way you can bypass
    that? Maybe using a VCR as a tuner.

    >Weird huh?

    If you can get a CBS channel acceptably well with an antenna, you
    might try that too.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    Is your Local CBS Channel 2? Also did you have a 2.4Ghz Cordless phone or
    live in an Apartment or Condo?

    "ST" <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > That's me - sending you my "super-low quality" show, recorded on Medium,
    > to see if you have any words of wisdom. Pause it, and you can see about
    > a strange 50x50 grid overlaying the screen. It's very strange, and only
    > happens on one channel (sadly, CBS where many good shows are).

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Joseph Wind wrote:

    > Is your Local CBS Channel 2? Also did you have a 2.4Ghz Cordless phone or
    > live in an Apartment or Condo?

    It's 4, I think, not sure since I never look. And I do have a cordless
    phone. I can try disconnecting it, but it's strange the CBS would
    record fine for a few years, and just start getting bad now.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Joseph Wind wrote:
    >
    > > Is your Local CBS Channel 2? Also did you have a 2.4Ghz Cordless phone
    or
    > > live in an Apartment or Condo?
    >
    > It's 4, I think, not sure since I never look. And I do have a cordless
    > phone. I can try disconnecting it, but it's strange the CBS would
    > record fine for a few years, and just start getting bad now.

    I just got a new AT&T 2.4Ghz Cordless set recently. I started getting a
    noticeable RF interference scan line on lower channels on TVs with rabbit
    antennas. Then I checked to see if the phone was in the charging base. I
    lifted the phone off the charging base and the interference went away. I
    called AT&T to complain, but have not received any reply.

    You can try putting a Ferrite block filter on the coax cable connected to
    the Antenna In. I might try it myself to see if it clears up the Cordless
    phone interference.

ReplayTV Home Theatre