Sign in with
Your question
Closed

3g data card to wireless router; possible?

Last response: in Networking
January 12, 2010 8:27:17 PM

I have a Linksys WRT54G router, that I used to use when I had cable for my internet. Now, I have a Huawei 3g Data Card, and my PC naturally says I don't have ethernet, so how can I configure either the PC or the router to recognize that I do have internet, so I can set up my home wireless network?
January 12, 2010 11:19:22 PM

OK it is possible to do this but not always ideal, firstly you will need to connect your laptop to the router and disable the dhcp and routing functions in place, you will then need to right click on the 3g connection in your network control panel and choose sharing, you will then need to choose share my internet connection with... there may be a drop down box you will need to choose your wired Ethernet connection, please also bare in mind for the internet connection to be broadcast over your wireless network the laptop/ desktop and 3g card need to remain on and connected to the router. Its probably worth a mention that you can buy specific 3g routers. If you really want to do this PM me as I have done this on a temporary basis in the past.

Hope this helps,

Davaross
Score
January 13, 2010 12:27:46 PM

I should confess that I have been trying unsuccessfully to do this per some online instructions I found, but it seems that there is always something my system asks me for that wasn't included in those instructions. For instance, you mentioned that "there may be a drop down box you will need to choose your wired Ethernet connection," and that is where my problems are. What I had in mind was using my desktop PC for the gateway. I was able to connect my Linksys to it's ethernet port, and disable the DHCP via the Linksys default web page (192.168.1.1), but all my other devices only recognize the Linksys as part of a local network, with no internet connection. So, that is my hang up. (I wanted to be able to connect my SlingCatcher and my Archos to the internet for video streaming, but no joy).
Score
Related resources
November 20, 2010 3:57:50 AM

yes you can do this, what version of windows do you have?

anyways go to network connections, now click setup a home or small office connection, now on the next few screen put "this computer connects directly to the internet" (if this is the computer with the 3g card). now click next. now highlight your main 3g internet connection. click next. now highlight your "Local area connection" the main one that your cat5 cable plug to your computers lan port. ( unselect all others). click next. type in a computer name (it can be whatever). click next. type in workgroup name (this can be whatever you want also. click next. i would turn on file and print sharing but i dont think it matters. click next.
now you will see your network settings. verify everything is right and click next. when prompter select" continue without making a disk. then click finish. viola now you can setup any wlan or wifi enabled device to your wireless router
Score
November 20, 2010 3:59:48 AM

also you wont be able to access your routers configuration utility page from the main computer. but you will be able to use it with any other computer on the router. updating firmware is a different story :p 
Score
November 20, 2010 1:43:24 PM

james28909 said:
yes you can do this, what version of windows do you have?

anyways go to network connections, now click setup a home or small office connection, now on the next few screen put "this computer connects directly to the internet" (if this is the computer with the 3g card). now click next. now highlight your main 3g internet connection. click next. now highlight your "Local area connection" the main one that your cat5 cable plug to your computers lan port. ( unselect all others). click next. type in a computer name (it can be whatever). click next. type in workgroup name (this can be whatever you want also. click next. i would turn on file and print sharing but i dont think it matters. click next.
now you will see your network settings. verify everything is right and click next. when prompter select" continue without making a disk. then click finish. viola now you can setup any wlan or wifi enabled device to your wireless router

I have Windows 7.
My next question is going to be: can I also now use the LAN ports on the back of the router for hard wired connections? (I still want to be able to use my SlingCatcher).
thanks for any and all help,
John
Score
November 21, 2010 4:42:58 PM

I hate when this happens. Somebody posts what looks to be promising information, but then, when you have more questions, they disappear. Basically, the information provided by James turns out not to work, most likely 'cause they are for a system other than Windows 7. So, I still have the same basic question: How can I use my old Linksys router with my 3g data card, running Windows 7, to set up a home network?
Score
October 8, 2011 9:49:16 AM

Well some one will come again with an answer..
Any way help yourself and learn more..

Search in net there are few free software.. which can use your laptop as a wireless router.. well your os should be win7.

1.Seventh Gate
2.Virtual Router
3.Connectify.

... These are named in order of my prefference.
Score
October 8, 2011 10:57:34 AM

Is it possible for you to buy a new router? if yes, there are a few routers out there which allow you to plug in the data card straight into the router and then connect over the air to all the other equipment plus one wired connection.

Here are a few I have used and they're pretty easy to configure and use.
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCo...

This was the simplest though
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCo...
Score
October 8, 2011 12:51:48 PM

Regarding the software solutions suggested by rajdip, I appreciate your efforts, but I had already tried Connectify, and found that it simply would not work for me. Besides, my main PC is not a laptop, but a desktop, and it has no wireless capabilities. So, software alone is not going to do it for me.

What I ended up doing was biting the bullet, and buying (locally) a Chinese manufactured router with the brand name of Engenius. My options were and are very limited because my internet provider enjoys a monopoly here in Costa Rica, and has little motivation to provide a first class internet experience. After nearly two years with this sorry system, I have learned to live with it.

Thank you both for your input.
Score

Best solution

October 9, 2011 5:31:31 AM

OK. Now it's quite simple.
Firstly We'll name the PC you connect your 3G card to as the Main PC. The rest are all clients.
From what I understand , your Main PC is connected directly to the 3G Card for Internet Connectivity and the Linksys Router is connected to this very same PC using the LAN cable right?

What and where is the Engenius Router connected to?

Anyway here's a shorter way to go about it and it does include the stuff that was said by the other 2 guys here.

Disconnect everything from everything.
Delete all connections in everything that was recognized and connected before. to what ever equipment.
Get to the LAN properties of the Main PC, remove the IPs if they had been given/specified. Set it all to automatic.

Now install and connect the 3G Card in this Main PC.
Once Connected, right click and share connection using the LAN Card. Also enable/Disable users to connect and disconnect this PCs internet connection depending on the way you want it to be operated.

Now connect a LAN cable between the Main PC and the Linksys Router, but plug in that cable into the WAN port/Internet Port on the Linksys Router and not in the normal Client Ports.

Switch it on, hopefully you would have Hard reset the Router before this so all the stuff is at default inside the router.

Now you can connect using either a wired connection in any of the other ports of the router and configure it to pass the Connection Of the Main PC to the other clients or then connect over the air to configure the router .

Just a note, to have the Internet Connection in the Main PC shared, you need to have something called ICS (Internet Connection Sharing ) already installed in the rig, it is a part of the windows package and is done automatically when required.
October 9, 2011 12:50:45 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have done all of what you outlined more times than I can count. It has never worked for me, no matter what I do. That is why I came to this forum the first time (over two years ago). For whatever reason my PC, with Windows 7 (32bit) simply will not share........ICS was more obvious in previous versions, but just doesn't seem to be there for Win7..........Maybe one of these days, if I have lots and lots of patience, I'll try it one more time.
Score
October 9, 2011 2:54:04 PM

Check services....... it has ICS in it even in Win 7.
Score
October 9, 2011 3:11:25 PM

heck, I might as well give it a shot.......it was set for manual operation, so I am changing that to automatic, and a bit later, I'll see if I can go through the process. Thanks again.
Score
October 9, 2011 3:14:16 PM

As they say, beauty is in the details.
Score
October 9, 2011 3:33:44 PM

right along with the devil.....
Score
October 10, 2011 2:21:06 PM

Alas, still no joy in Mudville.........ultimately, all I get is a message that the LAN IP is not configured properly, and the router just never seems to take off.........I have spent way too much time on this, and will just go back to the cheap 3G router from China......
Score
October 11, 2011 9:38:53 AM

Well, why take it the easy way after you wasted such a lot of time on this, give a few more tries.
The LAN IP is not properly configured because you have specified IPs on the LAN or the Router. Change them both to DHCP. Then give it a try, if the default IP of the Router is 192.168.1.1 you need to change it to 192.168.2.1 ( The router access page IP) and then it'll work fine.
Score
October 11, 2011 12:39:37 PM

Ah, but how do I access the router access page, if my PC can't even recognize that there is a router present?
Score
October 12, 2011 7:37:09 AM

You need to connect it with a LAN cable :(  and when accessing the router page you need the LAN cable to be plugged into the LAN port of the router and not the WAN port of the router.
It is to be changed from the LAN port to the WAN port only after you've finished configuring the router.
Then enable connection sharing for the 3G Modem over the LAN connection in the main computer.
Score
October 16, 2011 12:04:00 AM

yes, I knew that.......I have the CAT-5E cable that used to come from the router to the ethernet port on the PC, and I moved it to both the WAN and even tried it in a LAN port, with no luck (I think my router's power supply may have gone bad, 'cause now the power light blinks, instead of showing a steady glow).
Score
October 17, 2011 5:15:05 AM

Have you tried to hard reset the router ? Use a blunt paper clip to hard reset it.
Score
October 17, 2011 1:09:26 PM

first thing I did.........
Score
October 24, 2011 12:20:23 AM

To the forum at large: please don't ask me to choose one response as "the best one" if I still have a problem with what I am trying to do! (Granted, the fault may be my own, but if I have no resolution, I have no resolution).
Score
October 24, 2011 7:11:01 AM

Don't worry, the best answer is not why we're here. We're here to resolve the issues (for Free) :) 
Score
October 24, 2011 1:27:05 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I suspect the forum's creators set a default, and it doesn't know the difference.
Score
October 25, 2011 2:58:41 AM

Did you manage to try a new power adapter for the Router?
The Power light blinking all the time could also be a sticky hard reset button. If you pressed it too hard you could have just managed to get it stuck.... check and see.
Score
October 25, 2011 2:31:04 PM

nah, it's not stuck........I have no clue..........
Score
October 25, 2011 2:34:31 PM

well, this is not the solution to your problem, but, get a new router...... :) 
The one you have is in desp. need of CPR now.
Score
October 25, 2011 5:11:44 PM

yeah, I think you're right. Good thing I have to go to the states soon. I'll get one while I'm there.
Score
November 4, 2011 11:46:01 AM

Best answer selected by jdocop.
Score
November 4, 2011 11:48:17 AM

Ultimately, so that the forum would stop bugging me to choose the "best" answer here, I have done so. I will add, however, one last thing. This was evidently all moot since I use a VPN, which Windows 7 treats as a network on its own. Therefore, since I am connected to a network, Windows 7 will not allow me to use my PC as the hub for a wireless network......
Score
January 20, 2012 8:26:46 PM

jdocop said:
Ultimately, so that the forum would stop bugging me to choose the "best" answer here, I have done so. I will add, however, one last thing. This was evidently all moot since I use a VPN, which Windows 7 treats as a network on its own. Therefore, since I am connected to a network, Windows 7 will not allow me to use my PC as the hub for a wireless network......

how about a 3g mifi router? i got mine from estore24. estore24.com
Score
January 23, 2012 8:19:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!