Raid not rebuilding when new drive inserted

theboykidney

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hi,
So a drive failed in a Raid 5 Win server 2008.
Last time it happened, I pulled out the old drive, plugged in the new one and it sorted itself out, reinitialized and rebuilt itself. All was good after a day or so.
This time, plugged in a new drive [ same size, different make] and nothing happened.
Attached pic shows summary - the new disk is just sitting there (slightly different size than the others).
disks.jpg

Any thoughts on how to get the Raid to rebuild using the new disk?
thanks a lot,
TBK.

Well is This a Dell server? Try to boot into ther Perc card cntl a or s I think. It should give you the options to rebuild from within the card options but you will be stuck in the bios till the rebuild is done so server might be down a while. Other option if its a dell open up Open Manage and go to raid controller and choose rebuild..

Thent

theboykidney

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Yup, an old Dell, maybe 7 years old ish, which might explain why the open manage doesn't have any changeable options, only really seems to give you a summary... unless I'm missing something?

Will try the perc card [what does this stand for?] thing you mention, but would prefer to try it in windows first.

cheers thently.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
You may find the drive being slighly different, may not be supported for this array. I seen theads that go either way but I have always been advised to keep the drive identical.

InfidelPimp

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007

Particularly true on the older PERC cards - 7 years old, so a 3 or 4?

Or it could be a hardware fault/error on the controller card, too. Either way, I'd replace the controller card, if not the whole server. I've seen a bunch of really nicely speced out PE2950's on eBay for around $2500, which I have to imagine would be a massive boost over the 7 year old whatever you're trying to run now.