Sign in with
Your question

HD 4850 width link set to x2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 4:22:25 PM

Basically I noticed this when probing around CPU-Z/GPU-Z when I was doing a small overclocking segment today.

As you can see here my PCI-E 16x Lane is set at 2x lane configuration. Whether this is a fault of the motherboard or just a CPU-Z or GPU-Z error I am not sure.

The motherboard I have is a Biostar TA790GX 128m with 2 PCI-E 2.0 16x lanes (8x in crossfire)

It has two PCI-E 2.0 lanes 16x. One labeled the Master (colored yellow), the other a regular PCI-E 2.0 lane 16x (colored green). It comes with a shadow card which is placed on the PCI-e 16x slot not being used (slave) to channel all the bandwidth to the master card. The card has been in place of the master slot, and the GPU has been reseated 5 times, it marks only 2x link width each time it is reseated.

I then tried placing the HD 4850 on the "slave" PCI-E 16x lane and would not work, with or without the shadow card on the master PCI-E 16x lane. (no display or recognizing of the GPU)
So now I am wondering if my GPU is suffering from performance drops due to only showing 2x link width, as opposed to the full 16x lane.

I do know that performance under 2x lane is severely decreased, the decrease can easily range from 10%-50% in performance decrease.

So I want to determine if it's a GPU, motherboard, or software error (if it's software then there is no issue with performance).

1. So I am going to run some 3dmark06 benchmarks, if the scores are comparable to other HD 4850's with 16x widthlink, then I can close the case as a failed CPU-Z and GPU-Z reading. 2. Test another PCI-E card on the motherboard to see if the motherboard or GPU is bad, and to test the HD 4850 on my sister's computer if all the tests fail to pinpoint the source of the 2x width link.

I would like for some people to post 3dmark06 benchkmarks of their HD 4850 in stock clocks, 625 mhz core, 1980~mhz memory. I will right now try my sister's 9300 GS PCI-E card to see if it works at 16x if not it may be a CPU-Z error, or a motherboard faulty PCI-E lanes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The pictures must have: GPU-Z screenshot to confirm 16x width link and correct clocks/gpu and 3dmark06 score.

MY 3dmark06 score:

More about : 4850 width link set

a c 173 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2010 5:32:15 PM

I have a similar problem with my GA-MA790x-DS4 board but the link some times is only 8x regardless of the card I use. Some times when I boot up the link is 16x but not often will try a second card some time to see if the lower slot is working.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 5:59:53 PM

Appears the motherboard is fine. My sister's Geforce 9300 GE (PCI-E card on her HP desktop) is marking full 16x lane usage.

It's definitely either the software or HD 4850. I am leaning more towards software because the HD 4850 seems to be on par with other HD 4850s.

As seen here.

Update: Fregging great just found out the slave PCI-E 16x doesnt work. Good thing my 2nd HD 4850 hasn't arrived yet. Biostar has started the RMA process. They will pay shipping, since I certainly won't (last time it cost me $10 on UPS ground) and took nearly 4 weeks to get my motherboard back not to mention having to RMA the two processors. (luckily one was from Fry's so they refunded me the $$, the other an AMD phenom II 550 x2 was kindly RMA'ed by AMD even though they were alerted that the motherboard fried it).

2nd time I have to RMA this Biostar TA790GX 128m. The 1st time it fried two processors, now the slave PCI-E 16x doesnt work? Really? Do they have quality control?

Anyways I will probably get a Asus motherboard from Fry's and once I receive back Biostar TA790GX 128m motherboard from RMA I will just sell it. Last time I purchase Biostar brand again.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2010 3:16:43 PM

Ditch the Biostar board since I used to have two and both are slowly dieing but one has already been sold on ebay long ago. So go for a sturdy Asus or Gigabyte board. XFX has good customer service since I had to rma my 780i. I keep both Intel and AMD rigs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is one board so selection is HORRIBLE atm. :S
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 3:55:57 PM

nforce4max said:
Ditch the Biostar board since I used to have two and both are slowly dieing but one has already been sold on ebay long ago. So go for a sturdy Asus or Gigabyte board. XFX has good customer service since I had to rma my 780i. I keep both Intel and AMD rigs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is one board so selection is HORRIBLE atm. :S

The M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 is a great board but I would encounter programs with the NB's heat sink. I will RMA the biostar if it fails again I will just sell it on craigslist/buy an asus.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 1:51:44 AM

AsAnAtheist said:
The M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 is a great board but I would encounter programs with the NB's heat sink. I will RMA the biostar if it fails again I will just sell it on craigslist/buy an asus.

Only if air flow is very poor, poor quality thermal compound, or loosely mounted. If cooling is poor there are options but be thankful than ATI chipsets run much cooler than Intel or Nvidia chip sets.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 7:16:52 PM

nforce4max said:
Only if air flow is very poor, poor quality thermal compound, or loosely mounted. If cooling is poor there are options but be thankful than ATI chipsets run much cooler than Intel or Nvidia chip sets.

I didnt mean it's temperature problem. Sorry for not been clear. I have a core contact freezer and it will definitely get in the way of the Heatsink.

And yes they do.

Also I already RMA'ed the motherboard, Biostar TA790GX 128m. They supposedly will give me faster processing by adding an note saying to give it to an employee named Nate, however I think it's probable bull feces.
m
l
!