Really low FPS on Flight Simulatorx

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I wasn't sure where to post this so since my computer is a new build I did it here.

First off my specs:
Windows 7
Mobo: MSI NF750-G55
CPU: Phenom II 955
Ram: 8GB G-skill DDR3 1333
GPU: EVGA 9800GTX
HDD: it is a Raptor not sure if that matters.

I built this thinking it could run any game out there put "Flight Simulator X" and it runs about 15-20 FPS. With every thing maxed out with AA. Shouldn't I be getting somewhere around 30-40 maybe 40-50? I like my games to run about 60. What I am asking is; is there something wrong? I was very disappointed when I played the game doing the robot dance.
I can get about 40 FPS if I turn off dx10 and pull the graphics down but then why play it? I got it because better graphics than older Flight Simulators and I cant enjoy them!

Thanks for any reply's :)

^ What resolution are you gaming @?
The FSX is still one of the most graphic intensive games out there and your graphics card - 9800GTX is nearly 2 generations old...That is the main reason why you get such low FPS with maxed out settings...

^ Like I said, the FSX is still one of the most graphic intensive games out there...
If you want to get little better FPS, then you would have to turn down the settings...And also check out the FSX forums as they might have settings that might help in improving the FPS...

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
True... FSX is VERY demanding and the best place to look for actual requirements is the FSX forums.

To be able to play FSX at 50 or more though i would consider at least a quad core (preferably an i5@ 4GHz or an i7 at 3.3GHz+ and a Radeon HD5870 or HD5850 SLIs... as a rough guess.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
The 9800gtx I bought back 2 or 3 years ago so it is old. I was just gonna get another one and SLI see if that helps things. I just bought the Phenom II 955 so I won't be buying new parts for awhile.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I don't want to make more speculations, i think it is better that you ask in the forums. I am pretty sure someone will have a similar configuration with yours and SLI's etc etc and they can tell you how the game performs so you can make your own decision as to go SLI or just buy a new VGA.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

What forums? The FSX forums? I'll have to try that. :)

^ Check this blog...
http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/

And FSX is more of a CPU stressing game than the GPU...And your X4 955 should not have much problems with that game...but still not sure though...and like I said before, the FSX forums are the best option to get info on improving your PC's FSX performance...