Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will better (lower) latency ratings cause a problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 17, 2010 2:34:05 AM

Hello,
MOB=ASUS Rampage III Extreme
Core i7 970, X58 chipset

The manufacturers QVL for memory shows approval for Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D with latency of 8-8-8-24. Corsair lists this as one of the recommended #'s for i7 X58 applications, but also lists sveral others. The other # I'm looking at is the same # number as above, except with "7" as the latency factor instead of 8, and is also recommended by Corsair for this specific application. Ratings for that mem set are 7-7-7-20, BUT, it's not on the approved list from ASUS.

1.) Will I have a compatability issue if I go with a lower latency rating?

2.) Should I stick with ONLY those numbers on the approved QVL list in this situation?

Many thanks from someone just getting into the deep end!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 195 V Motherboard
September 17, 2010 2:52:46 AM

You should be fine going with the lower latency RAM as long as you are sure you use the specified voltage with it. GSkill even makes some cas 6 DDR3 1600. With an Intel build you should be able to just set the memory to XMP or Extreme Memory Profile and it will adjust to max speed. If not do it manually in BIOS.
m
l

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 17, 2010 4:47:17 AM

Welcome Newcomer! :) 

Answers:
1 - No, as long as the DDR is Certified {QVL} or Tested {always use the RAM Mfg's website to confirm - as I did below}. Lower CAS is better and more expensive, and the combo of Low CAS + High Speed = higher $; only minimal improvement.
2 - No, as long as you use ONLY tested memory, the QVL is very small but makes DDR speed and CAS settings a no brainer, but if you're getting the ASUS Rampage III Extreme + i7 970 I "assume" that you will OC and the XMP only sets rated speeds so if OC you'll end up manually setting everything anyway defeating the QVL/XMP advantage.

Corsair Tested - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...

I hop this clearly answered your questions.

Good Luck on your build!
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2010 7:52:20 PM

Assuming the RAM is tested and rated for those speeds, you SHOULD be fine, although there are cases of some motherboards being more pickey in general...I don't think most people even bother with board approved lists anymore...

As for increases in speed, its there, but I wouldn't pay a significant amount for it.
m
l
September 26, 2010 11:39:10 PM

Best answer selected by New Gamer.
m
l
!