Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will my motherboard support SATA 2 or 3?

Last response: in Storage
February 13, 2012 2:47:22 PM

Hi guys,

I posted a question yesterday about a failing hard drive and instead of figuring out how to fix it with software, I decided to just purchase an entirely new hard drive.

My question today is will my motherboard (model number: 0m017g version: a00) in my Dell Studio 540 support a hard drive like this?

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
a c 289 G Storage
February 13, 2012 2:54:24 PM

The various SATA levels should be compatible with each other, so if your mobo supported an SATA II HDD it will work with an SATA III HDD. Of course, you will only get SATA II speeds, but the HDD can't saturate that anyway, so it doesn't matter.
Score
a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 119 G Storage
February 13, 2012 3:17:44 PM

That's a good price for a 1tb sata3 hard drive. So in your other post you ran the HD TUNE PRO and found some bad sectors? Thats a sure sign of the hard drive starting to fail. I hope you got you files backed up so you don't lose them.
The WD 1tb Green with 64mb cache and at sata3 will not saturate the sata2 port but will be a good boost over what you have. I have a WD Veloceraptor and it's not saturating a sata2 port. The only thing that you would have to worry about is a SSD.
Score
Related resources
February 13, 2012 3:27:04 PM

inzone said:
That's a good price for a 1tb sata3 hard drive. So in your other post you ran the HD TUNE PRO and found some bad sectors? Thats a sure sign of the hard drive starting to fail. I hope you got you files backed up so you don't lose them.
The WD 1tb Green with 64mb cache and at sata3 will not saturate the sata2 port but will be a good boost over what you have. I have a WD Veloceraptor and it's not saturating a sata2 port. The only thing that you would have to worry about is a SSD.

Yeah, unfortunately it got to the point where over 10% of my hard drive had damaged sectors. I backed up all my files to my external and netbook so I'm safe. I'm just sad that I'll lose some of the software that I've accumulated for the past 4 years or so.

So are you saying that the 1TB green will be able to run on my current system?

Thanks for the help on both posts!
Score
February 13, 2012 3:29:38 PM

WyomingKnott said:
The various SATA levels should be compatible with each other, so if your mobo supported an SATA II HDD it will work with an SATA III HDD. Of course, you will only get SATA II speeds, but the HDD can't saturate that anyway, so it doesn't matter.

My mobo supported this HD (ST3750630AS) and I wasn't sure if it was SATA II. The program I'm running does show that my transfer mode (current/max) is SATA-300. Does that equate to a SATA II?

Thanks!
Score

Best solution

a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 119 G Storage
February 13, 2012 3:33:37 PM

Sata-300 is sata2. As far as the software goes that you have accumulated can you burn any of it to a cd/dvd and load it on the new drive?
February 13, 2012 3:47:31 PM

inzone said:
Sata-300 is sata2. Asfar as the software gors that you have accumulated can you burn any of it to a cd/dvd and load it on the new drive?

I'm not sure how to do it since I didn't save the setup files. Can I just move it from Program Files over to the new drive?
Score
February 13, 2012 3:47:51 PM

Best answer selected by pyrosaga.
Score
a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 119 G Storage
February 13, 2012 4:31:16 PM

If you don't have the setup files that came with the original disk then you could copy the files over to the new drive and create a shortcut on the desktop that would take you to the file and then just click on the exe.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 7:06:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!