OCZ 120GB Agility 3 - Can I use it?

netboom

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Hello, I brought a new computer from overclockers about a year ago. I'm not sure if its just the way the HD is but it loud and I use some programs that are very database intensive and think an upgrade will take some lag from my system.

I have the following motherboard - Gigabyte M68MT-ST

is it as simple as just unplugging the current hard drive and adding the ssd? will the connections be the same?

also is there any issue with my motherboard? will i be able to get the speeds advertised?

is there anything else i should know?

Thanks for your time,

Darren.

No, you can't use it. Put it in a box and mail it to me; I'll use it instead.

But seriously. The board supports SATA II connections. The SSD will come with an SATA III controller. The speed of the communications between the two will be limited to 3 Gb/sec, but it will fly compared to how it runs from an HDD. (I have an SSD on my SATA II motherboard, and the improvement is night and day).

You mention database access. To ask the obvious, will both your OS and your database fit on the SSD? Plus, you will either have to re-install the OS to the SSD or use something like Microsoft's sysprep.exe to migrate the OS to the SSD.

Read the SSD optimizing articles for assorted tips. In my mind, the two most important are to setup the disk controller for AHCI mode and, if you do a fresh install, do it with ONLY the SSD attached to the system.

Have fun

netboom

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Hey thanks for the reply.

I was planning on installing windows and psql server on the SD as well as the programs that use it. Then hopefully use my current HD as storage. will that be easy enough to setup?

Thanks for your help :)

It should be easy. Two things:

1) Have a backup of your existing HDD before making any changes to it.
2) As I asked above, you mentioned high database access. If your database remains on the HDD, you will still be pushing the HDD hard. How big is the DB, and will it fit on the SSD?

netboom

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Thanks again for the quick reply. the DB is about 7gb so shouldnt be a problem and im happy to do a fresh install.