Sign in with
Your question

Crucial m4 as boot drive?

Last response: in Storage
February 13, 2012 3:18:35 PM

hi

i was wondering how much space ill have left after installing Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on a Crucial m4 64gb? i have around 10-15 programs i'd like to have on the m4, and as far as i know, I'll have plenty of space. right?

&&& what is the max amount of programs do you think could fit (average sized apps) ? i dont game, so i won't be putting games on it

thanks

More about : crucial boot drive

a c 119 G Storage
February 13, 2012 3:25:39 PM

I had the Intel 64gb SSD's slc when they first came out and I used one for the OS. It didn't take long for it to get 3/4 full and that was with updates and new driver updates and a game or two. The thing with a SSD is that you don't want to go much past 3/4 full because it starts to slow down. I was very happy with the SSD but I wished it was bigger and I was using Win 7 64bit.
I think that a SSD at that size you should put the OS and maybe a couple of of programs but not 10-15 , you may want to consider a 128gb SSD for that.
m
l
February 13, 2012 3:26:37 PM

You'll be able to fit a lot onto it. More than you'd expect. I'd say you'll be able to fit every app you want onto it, as long as they're no more than ~2GB each. On my 128GB M4, I have Win 7 ultimate 64bit, BF3, COD:MW, COD:MW3, Full Adobe editing suite, every single app, and a few others large programmes. Still got 17gb spare.
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
February 13, 2012 3:32:49 PM

Typical size is around 35->40 Gigs w/No games.
This is with office, adobe standard, email client, internet, photo editing, DVD software for viewing Blu-ray (includes any DVD)., Half a dozen info apps.

Usable space on a 64 gig SSD arround 50->55 gigs.
In a Nutshell: Need to disable Hibernation, limit, or move to HDD the page file, and limit, or diable restor points.

Reason 60/64 gig listed as MIN and recommended size is 90->128 Gig (More money then bigger- LOL)
m
l
February 13, 2012 6:03:01 PM

inzone said:
I had the Intel 64gb SSD's slc when they first came out and I used one for the OS. It didn't take long for it to get 3/4 full and that was with updates and new driver updates and a game or two. The thing with a SSD is that you don't want to go much past 3/4 full because it starts to slow down. I was very happy with the SSD but I wished it was bigger and I was using Win 7 64bit.
I think that a SSD at that size you should put the OS and maybe a couple of of programs but not 10-15 , you may want to consider a 128gb SSD for that.

thanks. i think ill be fine for a while but might not be able to have much headroom, and will need more space in a year or so. unfornatly, the 64gb is on sale for $80 and thatd be the main reason i could afford it; but the OCZ Agility 3 just came down to $99, which is do able. but it has very mixed reviews; do i stick with reliability with less space (m4) or better cost per space, (OCZ) ?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 13, 2012 8:27:33 PM

M4 has higher performance (Ignore Seqencial Benchmarks).
Seems they have fixed most of the problems with Agillity III.
What size for the Agillity III?
I would not buy the agility III, but that is sticky my personal choice. (a) if it is the 120 gig, it is 99 bucks for a reason. b. in your case, 128 gig is much better than 64 gig and in real life day-to-day useage, not a big difference in performance.

Bottom Line, your choice.
m
l
!