What cpu aftermarket cooler is compatible with Corsair Vengeance?

stefan37

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Well I'm buying a new PC and the motherboard is Gigabyte z77x UD3H and I'll be getting 8gigs of Corsair Vengeance RAM. I've heard it has problems with aftermarket coolers like CM Hyper 212 EVO. So is there any good aftermarket cooler which can work with this RAM and about same price like 212 EVO?

I think you are confused. It is not that the coolers are not compatable with the Vengance motherboards (LGA2011 is a pretty standard layout). The issue is with tall ram sticks such as the Vengeance memory modules which are too tall to fit under the large CPU heat-sinks.

Either get normal height ram modules, or be prepared to use different ram slots than the standard #1 and #3.

stefan37

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Hmm I've been told that Corsair Vengeance is probably one of the best gaming RAMs, that is why I wanted to use it. I've heard that there is a way to put it though, the guy one newegg video did it...

Sure, there are still options.
1) they make a low profile version (same ram, different heatsink)
2) some of the vengance series have a removable top bit of the heat spreader, so you can take off the top bit that interfere with the cooler (note that not all versions have this option)
3) if you are only using 2 dimms of ram (which you should if you are gaming as it will be easier to OC) then you can put them in slots 2 and 4 instead of the normal 1 and 3 to allow space for the cooler.
4) the 212 + and EVO are easy to modify, and if the ram does not clear the cooler then you can simply detach the fan assembly, mount the brackets on the other side of the fan, and then reattach it to the other side of the cooler block (note it is the fan that interferes with the ram, not the cooling block itself). If it is really close you can simply move the fan assembly up a few CM without causing issues. Personally I took my Evo and put on 2 low RPM Corsair fans. By far the easiest mod I have ever done, and ended up droping temps a bit more, while being a bit quieter (well... same amount of noise, but less annoying tone).

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Buy the Kingston Hyper-X. They work great and overclock awesome. And they don't have the stupid tall heatsyncs that get in the way.
I had the Vengeance with the tall heatsyncs on them and I pulled them off. They work just as good naked. Look stupid as hell though lol

TRENDING THREADS