Sign in with
Your question

My passport dead?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 13, 2012 4:20:36 PM

My brother bought a passport 500GB(2.5 HDD inside) and and when i bought my computer and put the front usb port on the firewire(It's what i think) on the mother board, my bro said it's dead or burned by the firewire... After a year, it's still hasn't worked when my SD card worked(Didn't work for months after i put it in the USB SD reader)... Does anyone know how to make it works?

More about : passport dead

a b G Storage
February 13, 2012 5:46:15 PM

Well if you tried plugging in the USB header into the firewire port on the motherboard- it's highly possible the HDD is gone.

Does the HDD work in any other computer? Does it make a sound (any sound, clicking, that type of thing) when you plug it in?
m
l
February 13, 2012 6:00:14 PM

Good chance it just fried that board inside the passport that controls the usb. Try taking the drive apart and hooking to the computer directly.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 13, 2012 11:13:31 PM

The HDD doesn't work it others, the light lit on and spin as with clicking noise(spinning noise too) for a second or so than stop but still spins... The device http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but have a different USB plug, I opened it up and nothing is wrong with it, it's not working,

locki433 said:
Good chance it just fried that board inside the passport that controls the usb. Try taking the drive apart and hooking to the computer directly.

So are you trying to say the it's like a 2.5 HDD where there's sata plug on it if i take the board that controls the HDD?
m
l
February 14, 2012 11:19:18 AM

Ya, it's just like any other 2.5 sata drive. Hopefully you can just hook it up that way and get any data off of it.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2012 11:38:42 AM

locki433 said:
Ya, it's just like any other 2.5 sata drive. Hopefully you can just hook it up that way and get any data off of it.

one problem, i got no screw that can screw those out lol.... I'll try to look for it in my garage...
m
l
!