Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help setting up new replay

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:17:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie.

I received my replay today, plugged everything in and received the channels
from the Internet. I have the cable split, going to the replay and the
digital cable box. When I tried to view a channel, I get no signal error. I
only have the cable connected. I can see the channels, but can't tune them
in.

I was in a hurry to record a few shows since I am going out, so I connected
the RCA cables from the cable box to the replay. I can get the shows from
the cable box via the RCA cables. This isn't my ideal choice. I want to be
able to record a show with the replay and watch another show on the cable
box. Although at times, I would like to record from the cable box also to
get the movie channels.

Tomorrow I am going to try a cable amplifier behind the replay to see if
this fixes the problem. I had another replay before, for about two days,
and I couldn't get it to display the cable channels either.

Sorry about the rambling. If you have any ideas, they are welcome.

In the 5 minutes I tried, I couldn't get the motorola cable box controlled
via the IR blaster.\

Thanks again.

Danny

More about : setting replay

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:38:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Be sure you have defined the input properly. Assuming you have a cable
coming out of the wall and into a splitter, and one leg of the splitter
to the proper input on the RTV, you then need to define that connector
on the setup page or it won't work.

From:D anny Hobbs
danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com

> Thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie.
>
> I received my replay today, plugged everything in and received the
> channels from the Internet. I have the cable split, going to the
> replay and the digital cable box. When I tried to view a channel, I
> get no signal error. I only have the cable connected. I can see the
> channels, but can't tune them in.
>
> I was in a hurry to record a few shows since I am going out, so I
> connected the RCA cables from the cable box to the replay. I can get
> the shows from the cable box via the RCA cables. This isn't my ideal
> choice. I want to be able to record a show with the replay and watch
> another show on the cable box. Although at times, I would like to
> record from the cable box also to get the movie channels.
>
> Tomorrow I am going to try a cable amplifier behind the replay to see
> if this fixes the problem. I had another replay before, for about
> two days, and I couldn't get it to display the cable channels either.
>
> Sorry about the rambling. If you have any ideas, they are welcome.
>
> In the 5 minutes I tried, I couldn't get the motorola cable box
> controlled via the IR blaster.\
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Danny
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:38:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

The problem may well be that the cable puts channels in different places
and/or is not sending standard RF to the replay but digital.

Question... If you connect the feed going to the replay direct to the
antenna in on the television does it work? Are the channels where they
belong? If the answer to either of these is NO, that's your problem

Replays are supposed to hook up like this

Cable in-->Cable box-->Replay-->television or monitor

Not cable in-replay------TV
--- cable in-cable box---TV This simply will not work properly

Danny Hobbs wrote:
> Thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie.
>
> I received my replay today, plugged everything in and received the channels
> from the Internet. I have the cable split, going to the replay and the
> digital cable box. When I tried to view a channel, I get no signal error. I
> only have the cable connected. I can see the channels, but can't tune them
> in.
>
> I was in a hurry to record a few shows since I am going out, so I connected
> the RCA cables from the cable box to the replay. I can get the shows from
> the cable box via the RCA cables. This isn't my ideal choice. I want to be
> able to record a show with the replay and watch another show on the cable
> box. Although at times, I would like to record from the cable box also to
> get the movie channels.
>
> Tomorrow I am going to try a cable amplifier behind the replay to see if
> this fixes the problem. I had another replay before, for about two days,
> and I couldn't get it to display the cable channels either.
>
> Sorry about the rambling. If you have any ideas, they are welcome.
>
> In the 5 minutes I tried, I couldn't get the motorola cable box controlled
> via the IR blaster.\
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Danny
>
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Related resources
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:06:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:17:03 -0600, "Danny Hobbs"
<danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote:

>Thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie.
>
>I received my replay today, plugged everything in and received the channels
>from the Internet. I have the cable split, going to the replay and the
>digital cable box. When I tried to view a channel, I get no signal error. I
>only have the cable connected. I can see the channels, but can't tune them
>in.
>
>I was in a hurry to record a few shows since I am going out, so I connected
>the RCA cables from the cable box to the replay.

A good way to do it. What were you doing before? Note that the RF
output of the cable box gives the LOWEST quality (and seldom in
stereo) signal.

> I can get the shows from
>the cable box via the RCA cables. This isn't my ideal choice. I want to be
>able to record a show with the replay and watch another show on the cable
>box. Although at times, I would like to record from the cable box also to
>get the movie channels.
>

Looks like you're trying to use the cable box BOTH as a source for The
Replay and seperately. This is not a good idea considering that any
changes you make to the cable box (changing channels, etc.) will mess
up automatic recordings (which you're likely to want even more when
you get used to the Replay). Consider getting a second cable box.

>Tomorrow I am going to try a cable amplifier behind the replay to see if
>this fixes the problem.

Do not amplify the INPUT to the digital cable box. It will not work
that way, since the box requires a 2-way connection to the cable
company (that's a reason I use DirecTV, they have no way to monitor
your activities).

> I had another replay before, for about two days,
>and I couldn't get it to display the cable channels either.
>
>Sorry about the rambling. If you have any ideas, they are welcome.
>
>In the 5 minutes I tried, I couldn't get the motorola cable box controlled
>via the IR blaster.\
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Danny
>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:03:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> Replays are supposed to hook up like this
>
> Cable in-->Cable box-->Replay-->television or monitor
>
> Not cable in-replay------TV
> --- cable in-cable box---TV This simply will not work properly
>
No,

You never want to record one tuner's output with another unless you have to.

The cabe should be split before the converter, one leg to converter, one
to the Replay. The audio/video outputs of the box should go to the
Replay Input 1. Replay setup should define the rf in as "cable" and
input one as "cable box". Audio/video outputs from the Replay should be
connected to the TV's audio/video input.

This will produce 2 guides on the Replay, 1 for the tuner, 1 for the
box. On the input for the Replay rf you delete all the scrambled
channels, on the cable box input series you delete all the channels the
Replay can delete on its own. You connect the IR blaster and the Replay
will select the proper input, change the box channel if necessary, and
record.

So you can watch anything while the Replay is using its' own tuner to
record something else.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:17:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:03:34 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>
>> Replays are supposed to hook up like this
>>
>> Cable in-->Cable box-->Replay-->television or monitor
>>
>> Not cable in-replay------TV
>> --- cable in-cable box---TV This simply will not work properly
>>
>No,
>
>You never want to record one tuner's output with another unless you have to.
>
>The cabe should be split before the converter, one leg to converter, one
>to the Replay. The audio/video outputs of the box should go to the
>Replay Input 1. Replay setup should define the rf in as "cable" and
>input one as "cable box".

That would be "digital cable box". It will not work with "analog cable
box", since Replay cinsiders that a duplicate input.

> Audio/video outputs from the Replay should be
>connected to the TV's audio/video input.
>
>This will produce 2 guides on the Replay, 1 for the tuner, 1 for the
>box.

The guides will be combined. The rules for numbering are complex and
not user-selectable. You will probably have digital cable in the 0-999
range and analog cable in the 1002-1099 range.

>On the input for the Replay rf you delete all the scrambled
>channels, on the cable box input series you delete all the channels the
>Replay can delete on its own.

Shouldn't the word "delete" above be "receive"?

Note that deleting a channel will remove it from the guide, but will
not keep you from selecting it manually and will not change the range
assignments.

> You connect the IR blaster and the Replay
>will select the proper input, change the box channel if necessary, and
>record.
>

Note that it will not control the "power" function of the cable box.
Leave this on. If makes very little difference anyway.

>So you can watch anything while the Replay is using its' own tuner to
>record something else.

That would be assuming the box has a different output as well (the one
connected to the Replay is unusable at this time). Note that on many
devices you can use the composite (RCA connector) and S-video outputs
at the same time. Avoid the RF output.

Also, you must not be doing this when the Replay wants to record
anything from the cable box. This will become more of a problem as you
learn to have the Replay make automatic recordings (which can happen
at almost any time). In fact, you may decide to use automatic
recordings for everything. For example, if you like a show called
"Ellen", you can set the Replay to record all episodes of "Ellen",
regardless of time or channel.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:55:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

>>This will produce 2 guides on the Replay, 1 for the tuner, 1 for the
>>box.
>
>
> The guides will be combined. The rules for numbering are complex and
> not user-selectable. You will probably have digital cable in the 0-999
> range and analog cable in the 1002-1099 range.

"2 guides" as in 2 series of numbers. The "rules" are not complex, the
input with the most channels has the lower range.

>
>>So you can watch anything while the Replay is using its' own tuner to
>>record something else.
>
> That would be assuming the box has a different output as well (the one
> connected to the Replay is unusable at this time).

Has nothing to do with it. You can watch anything on the box while the
Replay records with its' own tuner.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:55:43 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>
>>>This will produce 2 guides on the Replay, 1 for the tuner, 1 for the
>>>box.
>>
>>
>> The guides will be combined. The rules for numbering are complex and
>> not user-selectable. You will probably have digital cable in the 0-999
>> range and analog cable in the 1002-1099 range.
>
>"2 guides" as in 2 series of numbers. The "rules" are not complex, the
>input with the most channels has the lower range.
>

That makes more sense than many of the rules here, it doesn't specify
everything, like what numbers to start on. Also, there is at least one
exception:

My current setup has these 2 sources:

A. DirecTV w/ locals (approx 250 channels, 7-999), input 1
B. Local cable (approx 70 channels, 2-71), RF input

The channels are assigned like this:

0007-0999 source A
1002-1071 source B

Which is consistent with your rule. Before being able to get locals
from DirecTV, it was like this:

A. DirecTV w/o locals (approx 245 channels, 70-999), input 1
B. Local cable (approx 60 channels, 2-61), RF input

The channels are assigned like this:

002-061 source B
070-999 source A

Which does NOT follow your rule. Note that cable expanded it's lineup
too, but that did not change which was assigned first.

Here's another possible rule:

Assign the inputs in order (input 1, input 2, RF input) omitting
unused inputs. Exception: if an input fits within an existing gap in
channel numbers, put it there.

It's consistant with what I've gotten.

Whatever rule Replay uses, it'd still be nice to be able to override
that.

>>
>>>So you can watch anything while the Replay is using its' own tuner to
>>>record something else.
>>
>> That would be assuming the box has a different output as well (the one
>> connected to the Replay is unusable at this time).
>
>Has nothing to do with it. You can watch anything on the box while the
>Replay records with its' own tuner.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:55:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Thanks to all of the replies.

For some reason I hadn't checked the splitter when I hooked up the replay
unit. Now everything is working great. My setup is:

Cable - splitter
Splitter - Replay - TV Via RCA (Until I get a new Hi-Def Cable)
Splitter - Digital Cable Box ( Via cable ) -VCR - TV
Digital Cable Box via RCA - Replay

My replay changes channels on the Motorola Cable Box just fine. The only
problem is showing my wife how to run things. I have a new Mitsubishi LCD
tv with multiple inputs. Showing her how to watch cable when the Replay is
recording digital channels will take a while.

Is there any way to have the replay act as the digital cable does when it
comes to scheduling a show? Say I want to watch channel 6 at 7:00 PM. The
digital cable allows you to set a reminder and a reminder will pop up 1
minute till 7:00. The replay asks you if you want to record or change to
that channel. If I could get this to work, that would be great. I could
watch all of my shows through the replay and not miss shows I don't want to
record.
May 17, 2005 9:02:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Danny Hobbs" <danhobbs_OutofHere_@valornet.com> wrote in
news:IOqdndUlq-poEhvfRVn-pw@valortelecom.com:

> Thanks to all of the replies.
>
> For some reason I hadn't checked the splitter when I hooked up the
> replay unit. Now everything is working great. My setup is:
>
> Cable - splitter
> Splitter - Replay - TV Via RCA (Until I get a new Hi-Def Cable)
> Splitter - Digital Cable Box ( Via cable ) -VCR - TV
> Digital Cable Box via RCA - Replay
>
> My replay changes channels on the Motorola Cable Box just fine. The
> only problem is showing my wife how to run things. I have a new
> Mitsubishi LCD tv with multiple inputs. Showing her how to watch cable
> when the Replay is recording digital channels will take a while.
>
> Is there any way to have the replay act as the digital cable does when
> it comes to scheduling a show? Say I want to watch channel 6 at 7:00
> PM. The digital cable allows you to set a reminder and a reminder will
> pop up 1 minute till 7:00. The replay asks you if you want to record
> or change to that channel. If I could get this to work, that would be
> great. I could watch all of my shows through the replay and not miss
> shows I don't want to record.
>

The Replay will "announce" it's intention to Record a show 30 seconds
prior; this gives you the option to cancel the recording if you wish.

Note that the best way to use the ReplayTV is to basically NOT watch
live TV. Program it to capture what you want to watch and then do so at
your leisure via time-shifting.
!