400 budget computer; need advice (Updated)

rezylo

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[strike]I don't know much about computers but I bought a Gateway computer like 2 years ago around this time I have upgraded it a bit from back then (new mouse, keyboard, speakers, power supply, graphics card, and hard drive) I don't know much about what this computer has right now what can still be used but help me out if you can will try to provide any more information needed. [/strike]

So can anyone help me what I am pretty much looking for is to spend 400 if possible else up to 600 on a good motherboard, cpu (quad), 4gb ram, and computer case and possibly use everything else that I already have unless I have to buy something else new.
Also will the computer be able to run new games smoothly not asking at high settings or anything special.
Building this to be ready before bfbc2 comes out if possible and hopefully for future games.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 3days-14 days
BUDGET RANGE: <400 if possible for the items i need

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:

gaming, surfing the internet, video editing, rendering, music, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
keyboard (g15)
mouse (g5)
monitor (gateway 19" 1440*900)
speakers (5.1 logitech x540)
power supply BFGR550WGXPSU
graphics card (bfg nvidia geforce 9800 gt(?) 512mb i think)
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D ATA Device (if I can use this)
1TB WD 3.5" sata
Currently have windows vista would like to upgrade to seven but currently not in my budget so in the future

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
Newegg or other
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:
[strike] (These are just some stuff I saw reading reviews in newegg and other stuff doesn't have to be these I am open for suggestions.)
Was looking into these items:
Antec 900 (unless there is a better case in term of quality and price)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor (or something good, reliable, and upgradeable)
965 or 955 which is better?
currently looking for a good motherboard
RAM if needed (not much 4GB if possible if affordable)
cooling fan if possible
and anything else I might need.[/strike]
Okay changed my mind don't have much preference except that I want a if possible Propus 2.6GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 or the 965, a motherboard to go with one of these that will be great, 4gb of ddr3 ram, and a case which if possible might get antec 900 or something recommended to me. If possible to get these for 400 or so would be great if not willing to up up to 600.

OVERCLOCKING: [strike]Maybe? though[/strike] I would rather not wanna risk anything since idk how OC works
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe high chance in the future but currently not since I also don't wanna buy a new power supply

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
Currently have a 1440x900 [strike]will stay with it for some more time.[/strike] might upgrade soon to TOSHIBA 32" 16:9 8ms 1080p LCD HDTV 32RV525R or another lcd tv will like advice.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

able to play bfbc2 and other new games this year (sc2 or other major game titles)
being able to multitask without much issues.
also computer might be on a lot since will I need to buy a fan if so any good ones to go with the case you guys recommend.

my old gateway computer came with 3gb ram but I would rather if possible get around 4gb ram for my budget range with the other items.

rezylo

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
What games or kinda games do you play?
FPS, RTS, and other games. This computer is currently running the games: gta4, l4d, l4d2, and hon.

Use this to get the specs of your old pc & post 'em here:
Not sure exactly what you wanted me to post here if something else is needed I will post.

Mainboard : ELITEGROUP MCP61PM-AM
Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ 3000 MHz
Physical Memory : 3072 MB
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (1000 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D ATA Device
Monitor Type : Gateway FPD1976W - 19 inches
Network Card : MV88SE614x PCIe to SATA2 controller Yukon 88E8039 PCIe Fast Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6000
DirectX : Version 10.00
Manufacturer : Gateway
Mainboard : ELITEGROUP MCP61PM-AM
Bios : Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V
Physical Memory : 3072 MB DDR2-SDRAM
if anything else needed tell me will add.

Open up the case and post the PSU make & model.
Model: BFGR550WGXPSU

so yea kinda a computer I had bought from early 2008 and upgraded the gfx card, powersupply, and harddrive plus the keyboard, mouse, and speakers. Pretty much planning to use these on the upgrade. Want to try to get a new motherboard, processor, other if needed.

rezylo

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Check this out i bought a home/gaming computer from this site
They had alot of choices to pick from and i found the one a wanted. Im very satisfy with
my computer. http://fathersonwindpcs.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=802820

it is obvious that you did not read my post or are just advertising here so no thank you.

So can anyone help me what I am pretty much looking for is to spend 400 if possible else up to 600 on a good motherboard, cpu (quad), 4gb ram, and computer case and possibly use everything else that I already have unless I have to buy something else new. If I have to spend more than 400 I will not buy the LCD TV until a bit later.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Solution

rezylo

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for you reply. I see this will work out great for under the 400$ limit depending what I get have a few more questions though what are the major differences between those motherboards and since I might also have to upgrade my graphics card as you said would it just be better to get a 'can't crossfire' since I might not be able to afford the 2nd graphics card. Also probably won't upgrade it anytime soon would it be better to hold off getting the LCD TV or would it be good to get right now work it still work alright?
You also said the vista license might not work egh idk how that works I guess if it does not work I will have to spend those $100 for win7.
And one last thing if you can answer I was looking at those motherboards you said would be good and I saw that 2 of them do not support DDR3 1600 or at least they do not mention should I find a different kind of RAM that it showed to be supported?
Thank you hope this will take me a step farther into getting this done.

Edit: actually yea it will be around 450+ if I get the lowest cost cpu and I get a higher cost case the Antec 900 which I find might be better (can anyone correct me on this). So for this I might as well get the AMD Phenom II X4 955 which might then go over 500$. Would the AMD Phenom II X4 965 be better than the other to get or would it not change much to what I might do on my computer. Can anyone show me what might run very good from those options with the best price for quality I guess. Won't mind having to pay those extra $100-$150 if I get the pays worth. Seeing as this will make my current computer seen like not much I will end up being glad when everything is working fine. Guess the LCD TV can wait its a current must have in my list.

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
No, don't bother with DDR3 1600 unless it's $5 more than the cheapest ram. You don't overclock, you'll never make use the extra ram speed.

If you're going for a barebone upgrade minus the gpu, you won't see much of a gain in gaming which is your primary goal. If you're comfortable with your other usage, you can get a higher gpu & cpu. The AM2 cpus are hard to come by since it's going out. ebay, craiglist or kijiji may still have some. The PSU is more than enough to support HD 5770.

Also, I don't know which game you play the most. GTA4 won't be happy unless you have a modern 1GB GPU + a quad core cpu. On your current rig, you're seeing less than half of its glory. I'm on i5 + 900MB GTX 260, I'm not even maxing out this game. That game runs best on 1GB GDDR + quad. Period.

I'm guessing your 9800GT has only 512MB ram. Not enough for GTA4. You're looking at 1-2x shadow, near minimum everything else.

anonymousdude

Distinguished

Usually G-skill ram is cheaper than the alternatives, but I did find this which would be fine and cheaper too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227478&cm_re=ocz_ddr3-_-20-227-478-_-Product

GTAIV is a bad port of a console game and is one of the only games I recommend buying for a console solely due to the fact that it works. Otherwise at 1440x900 his 9800gt should still be adequate for most games.