Sign in with
Your question

I'm never using a stock cooler again

Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2010 9:33:46 PM

I recently built a system (my first ever build) using an i5 750. I don't intend to OC at all, but I wasn't overly happy with the stock cooler. Under load in games, the temps got into the 60s, with Crysis and GTA IV giving me the highest temps (highest around 68 C). While this was within Intel's specs and far below the TJ Max, I wanted it to run a bit cooler. I also tried a bit of prime95. It got up to around 80 C by the time I quit the test (probably less than a minute).

I decided on a cheaper option with the CM Hyper TX2 since I won't be OCing. Got some Arctic MX-2 to go with it (since this is my first built, I wanted something non-conductive and with no curing). Got everything installed, booted up my PC, and checked the temps. I'm idling (well, with a browser open) about 5 C cooler. I tried both GTA IV and Crysis, and temps stayed in the 40s. I loaded up prime95 and ran the test longer than I did with the stock cooler...temps stayed in the 50s.

I see what everyone means now about stock coolers. Even a $20 option is performing wonderfully for me. I don't think I'll ever bother with a stock cooler in the future :) 

More about : stock cooler

a b à CPUs
April 16, 2010 9:45:44 PM

I have never worked with a stock intel heatsink, but I have heard nothing good about them. AMD stock heatsinks are actually OK.

However, those are unusually high temps you reported. As your first build, I suspect there was something about the build that contributed to the high temps.
April 16, 2010 10:25:12 PM

I had to reseat the stock heatsink a couple of times and didn't have any extra thermal paste to apply, so that might have contributed to it. The temperature in this room usually runs a bit warm too, so I'm sure the ambient temps are higher than ideal.

The temps aren't too far outside what I've seen other people report with the stock heatsink. In fact, I'm looking at a review right now that mentions a temperature of 80C using prime95 and the stock heatsink, and I'm sure their ambient temp is lower than mine. Another review mentioned around 75C with the stock cooler using prime95, so I think it's less a matter of my build and more a matter of the stock cooler being horrible.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 12:58:16 AM

tsuki2000 said:
I had to reseat the stock heatsink a couple of times and didn't have any extra thermal paste to apply, so that might have contributed to it. The temperature in this room usually runs a bit warm too, so I'm sure the ambient temps are higher than ideal.

The temps aren't too far outside what I've seen other people report with the stock heatsink. In fact, I'm looking at a review right now that mentions a temperature of 80C using prime95 and the stock heatsink, and I'm sure their ambient temp is lower than mine. Another review mentioned around 75C with the stock cooler using prime95, so I think it's less a matter of my build and more a matter of the stock cooler being horrible.

Its possible, and I didn't mean to demean your work. Just you may have missed something small that a more experience eye might have caught.

Those really are high temeratures. I have never had a sub 100 watt chip break 60c no matter what cooler I was using. Maybe case ventilation is poor. What case are you using? Is there a side cpu vent?

The 750 is only a 95 watt chip and those temps are unacceptable for a 140 watt chip. Your running it stock right?

April 17, 2010 1:02:36 AM

The stock 1156 heatsink did seem a bit small to me, never got a chance to use mine though, put a Mux-120 in on installation. Stays in mid 30's idle and mid 40's under load which seems reasonable enough.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 1:19:18 AM

In any case, your bottom line conclusion is correct. Intel stock heatsinks suck.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 1:28:54 AM

tsuki2000 said:
I recently built a system (my first ever build) using an i5 750. I don't intend to OC at all, but I wasn't overly happy with the stock cooler. Under load in games, the temps got into the 60s, with Crysis and GTA IV giving me the highest temps (highest around 68 C). While this was within Intel's specs and far below the TJ Max, I wanted it to run a bit cooler. I also tried a bit of prime95. It got up to around 80 C by the time I quit the test (probably less than a minute).

I decided on a cheaper option with the CM Hyper TX2 since I won't be OCing. Got some Arctic MX-2 to go with it (since this is my first built, I wanted something non-conductive and with no curing). Got everything installed, booted up my PC, and checked the temps. I'm idling (well, with a browser open) about 5 C cooler. I tried both GTA IV and Crysis, and temps stayed in the 40s. I loaded up prime95 and ran the test longer than I did with the stock cooler...temps stayed in the 50s.

I see what everyone means now about stock coolers. Even a $20 option is performing wonderfully for me. I don't think I'll ever bother with a stock cooler in the future :) 

Just because you think your CPU Temperature is two high does not mean that it is high. If Intel being the tremendous company that they are and literally own the CPU market, takes the risk to make thier own CPU Cooler for thier product...I can assure you, they damn well know the risks and know what they are doing. I can garentee you that they designed thier heatsink to make sure that thier CPU's last. But thats just my opinion, i might be wrong.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 1:36:07 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Just because you think your CPU Temperature is two high does not mean that it is high. If Intel being the tremendous company that they are and literally own the CPU market, takes the risk to make thier own CPU Cooler for thier product...I can assure you, they damn well know the risks and know what they are doing. I can garentee you that they designed thier heatsink to make sure that thier CPU's last. But thats just my opinion, i might be wrong.

And you are. Hotter CPU's, all things being equal, don't last as long as cooler CPU's. Heat is bad for electronics, and bump material starts to soften around 60c which is why I don't like my stuff exceeding those temps.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 2:22:07 AM

I understand but the time they will last will exceed your use for them :)  If its cooler, instead of lasting for 6-7 years, it will last 10 years. But it doesn't matter, you won't be using anyway by that time i bet.

LOL "Heat is bad for electronics"...

G thx for the comment, never knew that.

Cooler is better, but hey, if you want your hardware to last long why not make it run at 20C on load?...then it might last 50 years. What i am saying is that the temps might be hotter but the CPU will outlive your uses for it anyway most likley so why worry about it.

If you run Prime95 on it all day, everyday...then yes you would need a better cooler but if you do that, you have bigger issues to worry about.

Moreover I think the people at Intel, you know the scientists and stuff are just a tincy wincy bit smarter...just a tincy wincy.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 2:30:04 AM

Fine, take a look at intels maximum temp for the I5 750. I was just looking at it a few days ago. If memory serves, it was 73c. Do you believe them?

And no, engineers at intel are not automatically smarter just because they work at intel. There are lots of brilliant people to be found in every walk of life.
April 17, 2010 2:37:24 AM

I know it probably could have taken the heat and lasted well beyond the amount of time I'd keep it before upgrading (probably a few years if I want to keep running games). I was just more comfortable getting rid of the stock cooler (when I pulled it back out, it really hit my how tiny it was). Anyway, 20C cooler under load in games is perfect.

And as for my case, it's a Coolermaster HAF 922. Huge case with three fans and excellent airflow. This isn't mine, but it shows what it's like inside the case: http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/coolermaster_haf-...
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 3:21:43 AM

Yep, coolermaster is a great case. Thats what I usually use. The stock cooler must have been defective somehow. But im glad you got the temps down to a good range.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 3:36:53 AM

I keep wanting to give intel the benifit of the doubt. Its hard to believe they would ship such a crappy heatsink, but looking at it........you might be right. I stand corrected.
!