FSB freq higher than NB chipset freq......major issue?

JLiRD808

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Ok I'm a beginner OC'er I suppose, only my 2nd chip I've tried.

My mobo has pretty limited OC'ing capabilities. I can adjust the FSB frequency but NOT the NB ratio/frequency.

In SiSandra, it says my chipset's max supported freq is (2x2ghz = 4gz) on this MSI board.

Im trying to OC a 1055t. But even the subtlest increase in the CPU FSB seems to push it over the max chipset freq. It's a 2.8, and bumping it up even to just 3.12 gave me an error in Sandra (2x2.23 = 4.46ghz). It seems to run stable, but I havent tested or pushed it too hard.

Again, Im a noob...so flame me if u will. Im ready for a new mobo and can probably not worry about this. Any thoughts though?

Solution
well, your ram is the same as me too. ddr2-800. later i will upgrade to ddr3-1366 cuz mine can use ddr2 and ddr3 ram.

yeah, you should increase your cpu voltage (not memory voltage!!, unless you want to oc the ram too). but keep it at safe setting (mostly not over 1.5V), depends your cpu.
increase your bus speed every 5~10MHz and check for stability. once you have reached unstable cpu, increase the voltage. also, watch the temp (not over than your max cpu temp - 5~10C) too. repeat these steps till your cpu cannot oc anymore. finally, decrease the bus speed about 5~10MHz for stability and check for stability. some cpu are different max oc even with same model. but, i believe you can oc at least at 3.4GHz of something.
IMPORTANT!! i...

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
anyhow, could you find voltage setting or overvolt setting? that one is to adjust the voltage for the cpu in which can increase the stability for higher overclock, but increases the temp, cause short lifespan. if you not care for damage your mobo (cuz you have/will have the new mobo), you can set the oc as high as you want and sees the unstable, damage mobo and also the psu.

actually, this was happened to me too. i was using elitegroup mobo which is amd2+, very limited oc capabilities, just can oc the bus speed / fsb speed, memory overvolt, etc. no setting for volt adjustment. only manage to oc from 2.7GHz to 2.9GHz and from 6 month goes one, my psu and mobo got faulty. get the new mobo, asrock n68c-gs fx which capable to overclock totally and able to unlock cores (mine failed cuz of bad cpu) and a new fake rating psu (budget issue)

JLiRD808

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Yeah I see some voltage settings. So I should increase the voltage for the CPU? I see memory voltage controls too. I am on DDR2-800 too...pretty lame. Will be getting DDR3-1866 with new mobo.

I have a hyper 212 cooler...and my temps are in the 30's I believe, maybe even less. So temp increase should be ok.

I dont mind PUSHING things as yes, I will have a new mobo soon. But is there a chance I can damage the CPU? Only excess heat would damage the CPU maybe?

THANK!

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
well, your ram is the same as me too. ddr2-800. later i will upgrade to ddr3-1366 cuz mine can use ddr2 and ddr3 ram.

yeah, you should increase your cpu voltage (not memory voltage!!, unless you want to oc the ram too). but keep it at safe setting (mostly not over 1.5V), depends your cpu.
increase your bus speed every 5~10MHz and check for stability. once you have reached unstable cpu, increase the voltage. also, watch the temp (not over than your max cpu temp - 5~10C) too. repeat these steps till your cpu cannot oc anymore. finally, decrease the bus speed about 5~10MHz for stability and check for stability. some cpu are different max oc even with same model. but, i believe you can oc at least at 3.4GHz of something.
IMPORTANT!! i almost forgot. underclock your ram as your bus speed increase. keep it near to your default ram clock (400MHz) like 20Mhz near. mine is 428MHz, bit oc. also, underclock northbridge processor (not cpu-nb) nearest to its default like 2014MHz.

its a rare case that you might damage your cpu when oc, but most of the case is you would short its lifespan.

Good luck!!

Solution