PCI x4 or x16 Question

kylelively

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I had a problem not to long ago about my graphics card (GTX 260) under performing in benchmarks. Someones suggestion was to make sure I had my motherboard set to x16. I am not sure how to check that, and was wondering if there was anyone that knows how.

Please help! I don't wanna RMA and find out I'm dumb. lol

I don't know if your mobo's BIOS will tell you, mine doesn't, and whilst the driver information available via something like (but not) DXdiag may give you the bus speed of the board and the card fitted GPU-z will give you the current state not what the BIOS says it should be.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Your graphics card control applet has a built in "system information" function with a button at the bottom of the menu.

pcie.jpg

So is that the actual reading or just what the cards BIOS reports that's what it should be? Because I've always assumed the latter hence the reason that GPU-z has a reason to exist.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

OK, the control applet has always shown me the right numbers, but can't tell the difference between 1.1 and 2.0 speed. That second part applies to P55 motherboards, which have "2.0" labeled lanes on the PCH that operate at 1.1 speed.

rreeder

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
You can also download "Everest Home Edition". This shows you everything you would need to know about your computer. It's a free download and you would go to "devices" and open drop down menu. Then click on "PCI devices". When device description opens with all your different devices, click on your Graphics card and underneath it will describe your bus type. Either PCI express x1 or x16. Real easy.