Sign in with
Your question

PCI x4 or x16 Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2010 8:46:55 PM

I had a problem not to long ago about my graphics card (GTX 260) under performing in benchmarks. Someones suggestion was to make sure I had my motherboard set to x16. I am not sure how to check that, and was wondering if there was anyone that knows how.

Please help! I don't wanna RMA and find out I'm dumb. lol

More about : pci x16 question

a c 272 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 8:56:49 PM

Download and run this, it will tell you what your PCIe slot is currently running at.
m
l
February 1, 2010 9:03:57 PM

Is there any other way to tell other than downloading an application? I mean I appreciate the suggestion, but I would rather scavenge through the BIOS or something lol.
m
l
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 9:12:03 PM

I don't know if your mobo's BIOS will tell you, mine doesn't, and whilst the driver information available via something like (but not) DXdiag may give you the bus speed of the board and the card fitted GPU-z will give you the current state not what the BIOS says it should be.
m
l
February 1, 2010 9:19:24 PM

Ok, well, thanks for the link. Ill do that right as I get home.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 9:35:15 PM

Post a screenshot if you have any problems with it by all means, but it's pretty straightforward as there isn't anything to actually install.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 6:23:09 AM

kylelively said:
I had a problem not to long ago about my graphics card (GTX 260) under performing in benchmarks. Someones suggestion was to make sure I had my motherboard set to x16. I am not sure how to check that, and was wondering if there was anyone that knows how.

Please help! I don't wanna RMA and find out I'm dumb. lol

Your graphics card control applet has a built in "system information" function with a button at the bottom of the menu.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 6:46:44 AM

So is that the actual reading or just what the cards BIOS reports that's what it should be? Because I've always assumed the latter hence the reason that GPU-z has a reason to exist.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 6:53:25 AM

Mousemonkey said:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7056/pcie.jpg
So is that the actual reading or just what the cards BIOS reports that's what it should be? Because I've always assumed the latter hence the reason that GPU-z has a reason to exist.

Pop it into a slower slot and find out, that's what I did!
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 6:58:32 AM

Crashman said:
Pop it into a slower slot and find out, that's what I did!

Can I use the excuse "My tv card is in the x1 slot". :whistle: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 7:32:55 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Can I use the excuse "My tv card is in the x1 slot". :whistle: 

OK, the control applet has always shown me the right numbers, but can't tell the difference between 1.1 and 2.0 speed. That second part applies to P55 motherboards, which have "2.0" labeled lanes on the PCH that operate at 1.1 speed.
m
l
February 2, 2010 1:41:17 PM

You can also download "Everest Home Edition". This shows you everything you would need to know about your computer. It's a free download and you would go to "devices" and open drop down menu. Then click on "PCI devices". When device description opens with all your different devices, click on your Graphics card and underneath it will describe your bus type. Either PCI express x1 or x16. Real easy.
m
l
!