P6x58d-e/Premium 12gb @ 1600

boomer39

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Is anyone running either the P6X58D-E or Premium with the full 12GB of ram and runing at 1600?

If so, specifically, what brand and model number of ram are you using?

It looks to me like OCZ3X1600LV6GK will do the job but I am unwilling to spend the money for any brand until I know for sure it will work at that speed.

I will start with only 6GB but planning now for the future.

Solution
Hi again, A quick cursary scan of the Gigabyte site shows that the manual does not make this point, BUT if you look at the approved memory lists very carefully they have listed whether a total of 6 DIMMs is approved or not. It needs careful study, and I have no experience of Gigabyte.

My general experience has bee that if you study the manual before you buy and only buy approved memory you do not have many problems, but this does need careful study and sales advice cannot always be relied upon.

Final thought best to buy mobo, processor and memory from the same source costs a little more but you buy a lot of insurance if you ask tt
he supplier to confirm that the chosen items are compatible.

boomer39

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Thanks all for the input! I will investigate G.Skill. Anyquist, which mobo manual has the quote you gave, P6X58D-E or Premium? Does the same hold true for Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3 or UD5?

anyquist

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Hi Boomer 39, the quote is identical in both the manauals for the P6X58D- E and Premium it is in Section 2.4.2 in both cases on page 2.11 . The note to this item says it is important and must be followed.

You can read several posts in different forums where people are trying to use XMP 1600 where it simply won't work and causes problems. In most of the cases where there is a problem the posters in the forums have used more than 1 DIMM per channel.

Further in section 3.5 of the manuals you will see that the default setting in the AI Tweaker section of the BIOS for XMP is disabled, and the note is repeated as an advisory.

My P6X58D-E came with 6x"GB XMP 1600 DIMMS which the supplier readily changed for XMS 1300. I studied the manual very carefully so that I did not face the same problem that is obviously bugging alot of other users. In the real world the difference you experience is negligble.

The great benefit of this mobo is the 6GB SATA and the USB3 at the price you pay for this board.

Hope this helps, Anyquist.

anyquist

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Hi again, A quick cursary scan of the Gigabyte site shows that the manual does not make this point, BUT if you look at the approved memory lists very carefully they have listed whether a total of 6 DIMMs is approved or not. It needs careful study, and I have no experience of Gigabyte.

My general experience has bee that if you study the manual before you buy and only buy approved memory you do not have many problems, but this does need careful study and sales advice cannot always be relied upon.

Final thought best to buy mobo, processor and memory from the same source costs a little more but you buy a lot of insurance if you ask tt
he supplier to confirm that the chosen items are compatible.

Solution

boomer39

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Thank you very much for your advice. It is very helpful and I will do my homework. I'm sure you have saved me a lot of time and effort and maybe $$ as well. Thanks again.