Radeon 5850 - 3 LCDs

kenetik

Distinguished
May 20, 2005
Im running a Radeon 5850 and have 2 23" LCD's hooked up via DVI, works flawlessly. I am trying to add my 32" LCD via HDMI to watch movies and play games but for some reason its telling me its not allowed, any ideas here?

kenetik

Distinguished
May 20, 2005
Well I dont want to stretch the video across 3 screens as 1 screen is a completely different size/resolution, etc.. So can I get around doing it via eyefinity?

kenetik

Distinguished
May 20, 2005

Well do I sepifically have to use EyeFinity to use 3 monitors? I dont really want to stretch it across all 3?

kenetik

Distinguished
May 20, 2005

Yah I dont have it enable for my two side by side in extended, am hoping I can just extend the 3 with a DP > HDMI adapter in passive mode.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Read the posts...the passive DP to DVI do not work well with the 5800 series. I was going down that same path until I read the comments. A gotcha with Eyefinity is all 3 monitors need to be the same resolution or else it will use the lowest resolution on all monitors.

The HDMI port is shared with one of the DVI ports which is why you cannot use both DVI's and HDMI.

You need that active DP adapter my friend. And they are not the same. Some people complain about the Apple active adapter, but it works for others....

You can run your desktop in Eyefinity mode and it is a little different than extended. It wont stretch your video across all screens. It takes the same pixels as it did before. I have never tried extending my desktop across 3 monitors so I cannot vouch whether that works.