Pure Gaming Pc 2200k budget

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Purchase date: withn 2/09/10-4/09/10

System Usage: Hardcore gaming all and i do mean all games i will purchase i want them running on high with amazing performance.

Parts not Required: no monitor and no printer.

Preferred website: Newegg.com

Parts Preferred: i really like the intel i7 cpu dont know which one would be good enough for really hardcore gaming and the vid card Radeon HD 5870 but there are so many dif manufacturers thats its hard to discern which one would suit my needs.

overclocking: maybe i overclocked my pc once and it fried on me so im a bit hesistant but with the guidance of someone trusted here maybe i can do it right this time

add comments: im gonna hook it up to my 50 inch tv so i need a powerful mobo and a good vid card maybe 2? if the price adds up nicely i want it to look amazing on a 50 inch screen thanks guys hope to hear from you guys soon =]

Solution
The size of the monitor doesn't matter for the power of the GPU, only the resolution. So a 20 inch 1900x monitor is the same as a 50 inch 1080p TV.

CPU/Mobo: i7-920 and Asus P6X58D Premium Combo for $579
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $230 after rebate
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $20
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate
PSU: Silverstone 850W 80+ Silver $150
GPU: HD 5970 $650

Total: $1,919. Leaves room for keyboard/mouse and a small OS/app SSD.
The size of the monitor doesn't matter for the power of the GPU, only the resolution. So a 20 inch 1900x monitor is the same as a 50 inch 1080p TV.

CPU/Mobo: i7-920 and Asus P6X58D Premium Combo for $579
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $230 after rebate
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $20
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate
PSU: Silverstone 850W 80+ Silver $150
GPU: HD 5970 $650

Total: $1,919. Leaves room for keyboard/mouse and a small OS/app SSD.

Solution

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
everything IS GREAT THANKS! i got a question though im concerned about overheating and that tower doesnt look like it can be cool enough do you know of any other towers that have good cooling? and also i dont need the windows 7 64 bit i forgot to mention that sorry and im not up on computer acronyms what does app ssd mean? im definitely buying those things you put up but that case looks suspect.

That tower is possibly the coolest case available. It is quite possibly the best case on the market right now. If that case is suspect, there isn't a case you'd be happy with.

SSD = Solid State Disk. It's a harddrive that doesn't have moving parts. They're new and makes the computer seem lightening fast. They're also fairly small and expensive. An 80 GB one (big enough for the OS and 40 GB of other stuff) is ~$300. That's the smallest size I would buy. This one is the typical recommendation.

App = application. SSDs don't like to be constantly rewriting data. Thus, you should only put the OS and frequently used (due to size) applications on it.

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
so would you recommend that ssd with my budget? i never even heard of that is it something you just install and it does its thing? and also what kind of dvd burner would you recommend that way i can round up and get to buying! =] thanks man

Yes. Stick with Intel's SSDs, and get the biggest one that fits the budget. I belive that the 128 GB version is about $400.

It's just like a regular HDD. You install it and then once you begin to install Windows, you choose that drive as the C drive. You might need to get a 2.5 inch bay converter. The normal size of HDD bays is 3.5 inches, but SSDs are typically 2.5 inches. It's just a bracket you have to install in the case.

DVD burners are pretty standard and does not affect performance. Get the cheapest SATA (connection interface) burner you can find.

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
As far the DVD burner doesn't really matter much just get the cheapest SATA burner you can.

With your budget you should be able to fit one in there and it is amazingly fast as far as loading the OS. However, is it really worth the 250-300 dollars? Pretty much personal preference. I would say if you have the money and it is burning a whole in your pocket get it if not you will be just fine with out one.

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
thanks guys man i appreciate this allot im so pumped! i was trying to do it myself i was like wow these guys do not make it easy they have a million versions of every type of chip and mobo, i have one final question with the case i see the mesh on the side is that for a optional fan? can i install one there just to kill off any doubts of overheating? im planning on making this comp work its behind off with the high quality games i want. and also does this mobo support 2 hd 970s in the future when i want to upgrade?

I'm not sure if there's a mount on the side for a fan, but the mesh allows airflow through the side. I do know there are some additional mounts for fans, but I'm not sure exactly where they are (I don't own a HAF).

Yes, the board will support two 5970s. You will never need two though, as by the time you need to upgrade the 5970, newer cards will be out that support whatever comes after DirectX 11 and the newer cards will be better than Crossfired 5970s. You do have that option with the large PSU and board though.

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
thanks man now i gotta wait till newegg restocks some of that stuff also with what you just said would it be possible to buy one of those newer vid cards and they would be compatible with the 5970? when the time comes to upgrade

Not really. Or at least not without wasting a lot of processing power. You can technically Crossfire different cards, but the bigger one is downclocked to match the slower one. In addition, any other benefits or features would be unaccessible as well.

So while it is possible, it's not practical.

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
thanks man for that i appreciate it i thought 2 gs was low for a sick comp but i bet if i were to buy this thing built already it would cost more than 3 gs thanks man

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
the reviews for the one i posted have much higher approval ratings man i hate buying stuff for comps theres always a millions type of hardrives that show different numbers of different things some seem better than others but really arent some show they have more of something for the same price but the namebrand or reliability is always shotty

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Conclusion

Here is part of a Toms Hardware review not the one I was looking for but I have to get out of here and go pick up my kids. If you look around Im sure you can find some more. Maybe someone else will find a more current one for you since I ran out of time.

EDIT
By the way did you mean to link a notebook computer HDD?

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

That was the HD you linked

malael

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
thanks man i appreciate it i will be checking it out now

LOL WOOPS!

i didnt even noticed that ! lol sorry no im looking for an internal hard drive for a pc not a laptop wow i cant believe i didnt read that right