Flimsy SATA port on SSD

Ph0enix33

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hi,

While building my new system, I accidentally applied too much force when attaching the SATA power cable and felt the bracket, that contained the SATA and power port, give way a little bit. The port did not break, but is now somewhat dislodged and wiggles, rather than being held in place. I finished putting the system together and the drive seems to work, but my question is whether it is worth it to exchange the drive or if I should keep it. As I mentioned, to the best of my knowledge the drive is functional, but I don't want this to become an issue in a year or so when I would be unable to return it. If anyone would like a better idea of what I am talking about, head to newegg and look at the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos drives. One of the images had a view from the back with the ports and the bracket type structure I am talking about.
Thanks for any replies

I do not think it will be a problem but you will have to be careful every time you move it or work in there. It is physical damage caused by to much force which would not be covered under warranty if you claim so unless it was already loose when you got it.

Ph0enix33

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Thank you for the reply. I did some testing with AS-SSD and the results are somewhat worrying. My SSD advertises 560MB/515MB read/write speeds, but on the test, the write speeds are drastically different. My read is 505MB, which is fairly close to the 560 number claimed by Mushkin, but my write speeds are roughly half at 245MB. Is it possible the damage to the port is causing this low write speed?

Your drive uses a SandForce controller, so advertised speeds are probably with ATTO software, not AS-SSD.

ATTO benchmark software uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
AS-SSD benchmark software uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.

If you notice in the desciption of the item when it's talking about the read/write speeds it does say "up to" and I believe that is the catch phrase here because they are not saying the you will "get" those speeds but rather you will get "up to" those speeds.
I would try to return the SSD and depending on where you bought it you may be able to if there are no signs of damage other than the loose connector.