[SOLVED] Wifi USB/PCI Card Advice!

jyleung

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hi, I recently built an i7 920 / GA-EX58A-UD3R computer and have just realized the motherboard doesn't have onboard wifi. Most of the time, it won't be near a router/ethernet outlet so I need to use wifi.

I currently have the DIR-655 router which supports 802.11n, so I'm looking for a PCI card or USB wifi adapter that best fits this router and my motherboard. I'm only using a single 4890, so I have room for a PCI Card if you think it's faster/better reception than USB. Installation convenience isn't really a factor, unless both run equal in all other aspects.

What do you suggest?

Most important is speed and signal strength (since I'tll be 2 floors above.) I have one already on another computer... but I don't know which it is, something by TP-Link, and it seems to work nicely, so I'm up for another PCI Card as opposed to USB (I've heard they're not as good.)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: OH and it has to be compatible with Windows 7 64-bit!

jyleung

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
SOLVED

Bought the USB D-link DWA-130 Rev. E and it works perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit. Windows installed drivers automatically (though I hear this only works for Rev. E model.) Speed's as fast as my ISP plan will take me. USB doesn't get hot either and has a nice cradle thing to hold it.

Keep in mind I'm using D-link router, so the compatibility might have helped too. Just posting this in case anyone was in same situation.