Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GPU HEAT QUESTION

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2010 11:31:50 PM

Please help with some feedback here.
Have personal build that has had the XFX vid card since day one.
It ran somewhat hot (37 idle, 58 stressed) with fan never seeming to ramp up during hard core game play.
I was concerned about the temp. but card was cheap and I just left it alone until recently.
Was in my local electronics store Friday and purchased the BFG card and through it in SLI with XFX card.
Gained some impressive numbers in the newer games (COD MW2) & never had a problem.
After a couple of days of my 20 yr old son "burning" the new card in for me, I fired up EVGA Precision to notice
a 10 C difference in temp. between the two cards at idle (BFG card 26, XFX card 36).
I wonder if I should RMA the XFX card (double lifetime warranty) or is this range normal?

Thanks!
BigDav

Cooler Master ATCS 840 with GPU duct installed
Windows 7 Ultimate
Asus M4N82 Deluxe (AMI bios 0501) NO OVERCLOCK
Phenom II X2 550
Kingston PC8500 DDR2 @1066MHz (KHX8500D2K2)
Velociraptor 300GB (WD3000HLFS)
2 - Caviar Blacks 1 TB (WD1001FALS)
SyncMaster T260HD (1900 X 1200 X 59Hertz)
SLI X16, X16
XFX GTS250 1GB (ZDFC)
BFG GTS250 1GB (1024OCE)
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w
OnBoard Sound

More about : gpu heat question

a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 11:47:16 PM

It is fairly normal for one card to run hotter than another and 36C at idle is nothing to worry - Figure with SLI the airflow is usually better around one card than the other so you might try switching the 2 cards around and see if the Temps change.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 11:47:35 PM

Depends on what card is in what slot and also cooling designs of the two cards. Both are in acceptable range, what are the load temps with SLI?
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2010 12:15:08 AM

After 20 mins of COD MW2, load temps were XFX 52, BFG 41.

JDFan, the PCIe layout of this board has X16 slots with lots of room between them.
I will however try changing the slots tomorrow and let y'all know how it effect the temps

Thanks!
BigDav

m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 12:17:34 AM

The BFG may also just have a better cooler on it compared to the XFX also possibly.
And those load temps are perfectly fine, difference in temp can prob just put down to PCIe layout as JDFan says or case ventilation etc
February 2, 2010 12:33:29 AM

Thanks for your input guys, I'm gonna reset the heatsink on the XFX card with some quality grease tomorrow. I suspect it was poor quality @ the manufacturer
that's blame for this. BTW, the XFX card ran a bit hotter in the old P183 Antec case
it used to call home. I spent the $ for the CM case to lower my temps (reside in Texas) 'cause in the summer, the ambiant can exceed 80F in the house and I needed some better air flow.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 12:52:40 AM

Is your XFX card sitting right next to your BFG card or are they spread out with two slots between eachother? That could explain why one is 10C hotter.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:59:47 AM

BigDav said:
After 20 mins of COD MW2, load temps were XFX 52, BFG 41.

JDFan, the PCIe layout of this board has X16 slots with lots of room between them.
I will however try changing the slots tomorrow and let y'all know how it effect the temps

Thanks!
BigDav

Even with quite a bit of space between them the higher card (closer to the top of the case) will usually run slightly higher temps due to the lower card blocking some of the cooler air flow from the bottom of the case and the upper card pulling in some of the warmer air from the backside of the other card. Let us know if it does('nt) have any affect on the cards when you swap them.
m
l
February 13, 2010 5:25:43 PM

JDFan said:
Even with quite a bit of space between them the higher card (closer to the top of the case) will usually run slightly higher temps due to the lower card blocking some of the cooler air flow from the bottom of the case and the upper card pulling in some of the warmer air from the backside of the other card. Let us know if it does('nt) have any affect on the cards when you swap them.

Switching the XFX card to the lower slot, lowered the temps of that card approx 2c, but the BFG card was uneffected by the new location.
I took the heatsink off the XFX card and cleaned a miniscule amount of dust from the fins and re-assembled with some Ceramique grease.
After my son played pretty hard for a few days, the XFX card is a bit better (5c lower - idle and load). I now have to agree with P1n3apqlExpr3,
that the BFG cooler just works better for some reason, especially at full load. I'm really happy with overall temps of the cards, but will buy another BFG and place the XFX card in the 8X slot for PhysX duty.
Gonna play a bit with water cooling CPU next, just cause I'm bored and need a new challenge. Thanks for all the responces, y'all were very helpful.
m
l
February 13, 2010 5:27:18 PM

Best answer selected by BigDav.
m
l
!