Sign in with
Your question

Please help !! NEW build problem, freezing

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2010 3:35:09 PM

Hello people!! :hello: 

I am in a "dont-know-what-to-do" situation at the moment :??: 

I finished building my computer the other day, using an Asus motherboard *(P5N-D). and i was realy pleased with it up until i switched it on...
The computer keeps freezing at the asus screen where is sais to press <del> to enter BIOS setup or <tab> to do something else. Occasionaly, after being switched off for a few hours it would work for a while and proceed to boot from the cd and go to the linux installation wizard ( im installing linux, it has no os on it) before freezing again in the middle of installation :(  (having gotten my hopes up).

So anyway i have no idea what the problem might be, ive tried different things such as disconnecting unnecessary parts, ive even bought some new ram which was in the infamous QVL of the mobo. and still , same story. Im presuming its not from the power since its a W750 psu

Please if anyone knows what might be wrong with it tell me, or make suggestions!!! im starting to panic :sweat: 

The exact components are:

* Asus P5N-D motherboard
* Intel core2 quad q9650
* XFX Geforce 9600gt
* Kingston Kvr667D2N5/2G RAM
* Sony Optiarc AD-5240S-0B DVD rewriter
* HITACHI HD 360gb model no : HDT721032SLA360
* Winpower W750 psu

Please help!!

More about : build problem freezing

February 9, 2010 3:54:06 PM

Have you tried everything in the "Read before posting about boot problems" sticky?

I'm betting it's the PSU. That's a POS unit.

My other guess would be a heat problem, which is hard to measure without being able to get into the OS...
February 9, 2010 9:01:52 PM

Yea ive tried the things listed in teh "Read before posting about boot problems" section..
any other useful tips?
February 9, 2010 9:42:42 PM

Sounds like either an overheating problem or faulty RAM. What does your CPU temp show as in the BIOS? Did you run Memtest86+ on either RAM kit before attempting the OS install?

MadAdmiral is right, that PSU is a POS. A cheap PSU can cause all sorts of problems including stability issues. A QUALITY 400W PSU would easily power your system.

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Any PSU without active PFC and at least 80+ certification isn't worth going anywhere near the inside of a computer case.
!