So I just built my first computer with:

XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66Ghz 6MB 1333FSB CPU
Corsair Gaming Memory DDR2 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz
LG 22X DVDRW IDE OEM
WD Caviar 250GB SATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply

I built this desktop with the intention of gaming. I want to play everquest 2 but every time I try to my entire system shuts down. Complete turn off, not a reboot or a blue screen or any error messages. It also does this if I try to run memtest86+ or prime95. However if I am not running these programs my computer will work for hours(I'm using it to write this), it can even run WoW. First I suspected my ram so I tried running both normal programs and memtest with each individual stick and it crashed with both. Then I suspected the psu, so I purchased a more reliable brand(the corsair is the new one, old one was the kingwin mach 1 600w) but it still crashes. I didn't think it was just overheating since it can run WoW and anything from windows so far for hours at a time, but 2 minutes into EQ2, memtest or prime95 it will crash.

Is all of my hardware compatible? Is there something I'm missing?
This problem is getting very frustrating so any advice is greatly appreciated.

More about : comp turns intense programs

February 9, 2010 4:06:51 PM

So what are your temps? What does Speedfan say about temps?
m
l
February 9, 2010 4:46:39 PM

I believe you're returning with this problem, from which we eliminated the RAM and overheating.

My only other though is that the PSU might be defective. This would only be the case if EQ2 was more graphics intense than WoW (which I don't know). You might want to find a program to stress the GPU and see if that causes a crash. Or if you have a game that is definitely more GPU intensive, try that to try to cause a crash.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2010 5:08:48 PM

Cooling issues occasionally occur away from the cpu. If one of the largish chips is super-hot to the touch while gaming, then wire up a case fan to blow directly on the hot chip. Worth a try.

If the heatsink hasn't been re-seated with a new layer of paste, now would be a good time.

Make sure the video drivers are up-to-date.

Make sure windows doesn't have any yellow warning labels in Device Manager on any hardware devices.

Check the System log for errors.

Post past results of tests.

It only takes 2 minutes for a cpu to cook-off if its heatsink is mounted incorrectly.
m
l
February 9, 2010 11:28:39 PM

Hi, I googled and found this thread. I recently started playing EQ2 and I too am having the same problem.
I have an ASUS P5E board
core2duo e8400
8GB of g.skill DDR2 1066
geforce gtx285
velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
700 watt PSU(don't know the brand offhand)
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Pretty much the same as the first guy, I can play wow with no problems even running 2 clients, Battlefield Bad Company 2 on high no problems, Modern Warfare 2 on high no problems.

Today's example is I got home to my cool apartment(literally, it was 55F inside) and turned my computer on so it wasn't already running to be warm, logged into EQ2 and comp keeled over within 30 seconds of getting in the game, and I only have it on medium graphics.

I'm going to run a memory test tonight to rule that out, and I do have the latest drivers. I was actually playing a few days ago without any issue, and even running 2 clients so my thought is something with my hardware or OS doesn't like the zone im in, because it isn't the same as the one I was in a couple days ago.

To the original poster, I was fine running around Timorous Deep, but in Darklight Woods I have had my chain crashes, I'm gonna try to move my characters out of there to see if that fixes it, as well as running memtest.
m
l
February 10, 2010 12:29:37 AM

MadAdmiral said:
I believe you're returning with this problem, from which we eliminated the RAM and overheating.

My only other though is that the PSU might be defective. This would only be the case if EQ2 was more graphics intense than WoW (which I don't know). You might want to find a program to stress the GPU and see if that causes a crash. Or if you have a game that is definitely more GPU intensive, try that to try to cause a crash.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

EQ2 is much more graphics intense then WoW. So does this mean that I have a defective psu? I thought that was the problem in the first place but ruled it out when I got a new PSU and the problem still occured. What are the chances that I ordered 2 defective power supplies in a row?

also I picked up some artic silver 5 and applied it to the processor hoping it would work if I dropped the temp a few degrees but no such luck. I don't remember the exact temp of the processor before I applied the AS5 but I believe it was in the 90s, or close to 200F.
m
l
February 10, 2010 12:53:27 AM

The chances of getting 2 bad PSUs isn't good, even if you buy a poor quality one.

200 F is very, very hot. AS5 isn't going to do much there. It'll typically only lower temps a few degrees.
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:15:42 AM

so is my problem maybe that the cpu is overheating? could it be that only more stressing programs like eq2, memtest and prime95 make it so hot it shuts down and less intense ones like WoW and windows programs dont?
any chance I just need a psu with higher wattage?
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:33:00 AM

For what its worth, I moved zones and it hasn't happened, been playing with 2 instances of EQ2 running, do you know if it follows you to a different zone?
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:54:56 AM

doubt I would be able to make it to another zone but I don;t think that is the issue seeing as how it will also crash during stress tests
m
l
March 8, 2010 6:57:32 PM

It's your vidieo card. I had this same problem but I have two 9800GTX+ and all I did was process of running with one and pin it to a bad card. I see you fix it cpu heat sink not in all the way. Good work and know burn out.
m
l
!