Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture ..

I get this message when trying to run Thief I under WinXP with an NVIDIA
FX5900 Board.

Any workarounds?
23 answers Last reply
More about direct3d device driver accurately report texture
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "busk" <gibberish@secret.com> wrote in message
    > I get this message when trying to run Thief I under WinXP with an NVIDIA
    > FX5900 Board.
    >
    > Any workarounds?

    Check here for information on how to fix this:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75031#texturememory

    Nightwalker

    --
    **Remove "leavemealone from my email address to reply.**
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Check here for information on how to fix this:
    > http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75031#texturememory

    Thanks!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > "busk" <gibberish@secret.com> wrote in message
    > > I get this message when trying to run Thief I under WinXP with an NVIDIA
    > > FX5900 Board.
    > >
    > > Any workarounds?
    > >

    > Check here for information on how to fix this:
    > http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75031#texturememory
    >
    > Nightwalker

    I have the same problem. As soon as a level is loaded I end up with a black
    screen. When I return to XP I get the same error message.

    My system:

    Pentium 3.0 GHz HT
    Geforce FX 5700 (Nvidia driver 53.03)
    1024 MB RAM
    Windows XP Home

    I tried the following workarounds:

    - Deactivate HT in BIOS
    - Upgrade to latest Nvidia Driver
    - Deactivate AGP surface acceleration
    - remove semicolon in line ;safe_texture_manager in user.cfg

    I do not no how to solve this problem. Any ideas ? The only thing that comes
    to my mind is a downgrade of my nvidia driver to some old version, ín order
    to play thief again. On my old system (Pentium 500 MHz, TNT2) I had no
    problems. Now, when I want to finish thief2 before thief3 is published
    nothing is working...............
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Michael Liesert" <liemic4@web.de> wrote in message

    > > "busk" <gibberish@secret.com> wrote in message
    > > > I get this message when trying to run Thief I under WinXP with an
    NVIDIA
    > > > FX5900 Board.
    > > >
    > > > Any workarounds?
    > > >

    > > Check here for information on how to fix this:

    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75031#texturememory

    > > Nightwalker
    >
    > I have the same problem. As soon as a level is loaded I end up with a
    black
    > screen. When I return to XP I get the same error message.
    >
    > My system:
    >
    > Pentium 3.0 GHz HT
    > Geforce FX 5700 (Nvidia driver 53.03)
    > 1024 MB RAM
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > I tried the following workarounds:
    >
    > - Deactivate HT in BIOS
    > - Upgrade to latest Nvidia Driver
    > - Deactivate AGP surface acceleration
    > - remove semicolon in line ;safe_texture_manager in user.cfg
    >
    > I do not no how to solve this problem. Any ideas ? The only thing that
    comes
    > to my mind is a downgrade of my nvidia driver to some old version, ín
    order
    > to play thief again. On my old system (Pentium 500 MHz, TNT2) I had no
    > problems. Now, when I want to finish thief2 before thief3 is published
    > nothing is working...............

    I am currently using the NVidia 52.16 drivers and they work beautifully with
    Thief. Maybe you could try dropping back to those and see if it corrects
    your problem?

    Nightwalker

    --
    **Remove "leavemealone from my email address to reply.**
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Michael Liesert wrote:
    >> "busk" <gibberish@secret.com> wrote in message
    >>> I get this message when trying to run Thief I under WinXP with an
    >>> NVIDIA FX5900 Board.
    >>>
    >>> Any workarounds?
    >>
    >> Check here for information on how to fix this:
    >> http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75031#texturememory
    >>
    >> Nightwalker
    >
    > I have the same problem. As soon as a level is loaded I end up with a
    > black screen. When I return to XP I get the same error message.
    >
    > My system:
    >
    > Pentium 3.0 GHz HT
    > Geforce FX 5700 (Nvidia driver 53.03)
    > 1024 MB RAM
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > I tried the following workarounds:
    >
    > - Deactivate HT in BIOS
    > - Upgrade to latest Nvidia Driver
    > - Deactivate AGP surface acceleration
    > - remove semicolon in line ;safe_texture_manager in user.cfg
    >
    > I do not no how to solve this problem. Any ideas ? The only thing
    > that comes to my mind is a downgrade of my nvidia driver to some old
    > version, ín order to play thief again. On my old system (Pentium 500
    > MHz, TNT2) I had no problems. Now, when I want to finish thief2
    > before thief3 is published nothing is working...............

    I *think* you need to have the 'safe_texture_manager' line in 'cam.cfg'.
    Try that if you haven't already.

    -craig
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Craig Hulett wrote:

    > I *think* you need to have the 'safe_texture_manager' line in 'cam.cfg'.
    > Try that if you haven't already.

    I'm not 100% sure, but I've always believed that all .cfg files are
    handled identically, as if they were all combined into one file, then
    processed. So it wouldn't matter at all where you put it.

    -Kevin
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Kevin Goodsell" <usenet2.spamfree.fusion@neverbox.com> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:yxfsc.8088$be.3919@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > Craig Hulett wrote:
    >

    > > I *think* you need to have the 'safe_texture_manager' line in 'cam.cfg'.
    > > Try that if you haven't already.
    > >

    > I'm not 100% sure, but I've always believed that all .cfg files are
    > handled identically, as if they were all combined into one file, then
    > processed. So it wouldn't matter at all where you put it.
    >
    > -Kevin
    > --
    > My email address is valid, but changes periodically.
    > To contact me please use the address from a recent posting.

    It seems that you are right. Adding the save_texture_manager to cam.cfg did
    not show any effect. The screen is black as before......................
    I am not sure if I want to drop my nvidia driver back to the 52.xx series.
    Thief2 is not the only game on my PC. Actually I bought a new system in
    order to have better graphics. Downgrade of the detonator drivers might be
    not the best thing for other games (Deus Ex2 i.e.). I could also downgrade
    directx to some 8.x Version, but this would surely keep me from playing
    other actual games...................... Is thief2 worthy enough to abandon
    current games?

    ......but thanks a lot for your help. I think I will have to wait for thief3.
    Meanwhile I will focus on Deus Ex2..........................................

    Michael
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Michael Liesert wrote:
    > "Kevin Goodsell" <usenet2.spamfree.fusion@neverbox.com> schrieb im
    > Newsbeitrag
    >> Craig Hulett wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I *think* you need to have the 'safe_texture_manager' line in
    >>> 'cam.cfg'. Try that if you haven't already.
    >>>

    >> I'm not 100% sure, but I've always believed that all .cfg files are
    >> handled identically, as if they were all combined into one file, then
    >> processed. So it wouldn't matter at all where you put it.
    >>
    >> -Kevin
    >> --
    >> My email address is valid, but changes periodically.
    >> To contact me please use the address from a recent posting.
    >
    > It seems that you are right. Adding the save_texture_manager to
    > cam.cfg did not show any effect. The screen is black as
    > before......................
    > I am not sure if I want to drop my nvidia driver back to the 52.xx
    > series. Thief2 is not the only game on my PC. Actually I bought a new
    > system in order to have better graphics. Downgrade of the detonator
    > drivers might be not the best thing for other games (Deus Ex2 i.e.).
    > I could also downgrade directx to some 8.x Version, but this would
    > surely keep me from playing other actual games......................
    > Is thief2 worthy enough to abandon current games?
    >
    > .....but thanks a lot for your help. I think I will have to wait for
    > thief3. Meanwhile I will focus on Deus
    > Ex2..........................................

    I'm currently running XP Home with the 56.72 drivers on a Ti4600 and adding
    'safe_texture_manager' worked for me in Thief2 but not Thief Gold... you did
    try 'safe_' and not 'save_' like you wrote, yes? Then there is the issue of
    the videos not playing but that is a known Indeo codec issue with a simple
    workaround.

    DirectX 9 isn't the problem, it seems to be the Forceware drivers. I don't
    see a problem with 'downgrading' to the 52.xx series as it's not that big a
    step back down the timeline, if that works for you. Simple enough to try and
    see.

    -craig
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > DirectX 9 isn't the problem, it seems to be the Forceware drivers. I
    don't
    > see a problem with 'downgrading' to the 52.xx series as it's not that big
    > step back down the timeline, if that works for you. Simple enough to try
    and
    > see.
    >
    > -craig

    I think you're right. I will give it a try..................
    Maybe there are some features added from 52.xx to 53.xx and maybe I can
    deactivate them....................
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Michael Liesert" <liemic4@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > > DirectX 9 isn't the problem, it seems to be the Forceware drivers. I
    > don't
    > > see a problem with 'downgrading' to the 52.xx series as it's not that
    big
    > > step back down the timeline, if that works for you. Simple enough to try
    > and
    > > see.
    > >
    > > -craig
    > >

    > I think you're right. I will give it a try..................
    > Maybe there are some features added from 52.xx to 53.xx and maybe I can
    > deactivate them....................

    Ok, I tried 52.16 with no success. I will give a try to the latest nvidia
    driver (53.72 I guess) which promisses support for the Geforce FX
    5700.............Then I have to give up *sigh*
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Michael Liesert wrote:
    > "Michael Liesert" <liemic4@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>>
    >>> DirectX 9 isn't the problem, it seems to be the Forceware drivers.
    >>> I don't see a problem with 'downgrading' to the 52.xx series as
    >>> it's not that big a step back down the timeline, if that works for
    >>> you. Simple enough to try and see.
    >>>

    >> I think you're right. I will give it a try..................
    >> Maybe there are some features added from 52.xx to 53.xx and maybe I
    >> can deactivate them....................
    >
    > Ok, I tried 52.16 with no success. I will give a try to the latest
    > nvidia driver (53.72 I guess) which promisses support for the Geforce
    > FX 5700.............Then I have to give up *sigh*

    Don't give up - I found the fix! Go back to your current drivers and then
    download the fixed exe from here:

    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1602

    Worked for me and many other people.

    -craig
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > > Ok, I tried 52.16 with no success. I will give a try to the latest
    > > nvidia driver (53.72 I guess) which promisses support for the Geforce
    > > FX 5700.............Then I have to give up *sigh*
    >
    > Don't give up - I found the fix! Go back to your current drivers and then
    > download the fixed exe from here:
    >
    > http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1602
    >
    > Worked for me and many other people.
    >
    > -craig

    Thanks. I tried thief Gold with the modified .exe provided in that link. I
    could play for nearly one minute then the system hanged up. When I start it
    again there is no movement possible. I think I have to go back to Nvidia
    45.xx

    Michael
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    I tried to follow the link but it's gone dead. :( I've always had the same
    problem when I use any of the current nvidia drivers. I've also tried using
    the texture command in the config if I remember correctly. Needless to say
    the only thing I've had work was to run older drivers.

    Craig could you repost the link or let me know where I can get that exe.

    Thanks in advance

    - Loki

    > > > Ok, I tried 52.16 with no success. I will give a try to the latest
    > > > nvidia driver (53.72 I guess) which promisses support for the Geforce
    > > > FX 5700.............Then I have to give up *sigh*
    > >
    > > Don't give up - I found the fix! Go back to your current drivers and
    then
    > > download the fixed exe from here:
    > >
    > > http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1602
    > >
    > > Worked for me and many other people.
    > >
    > > -craig
    > >

    > Thanks. I tried thief Gold with the modified .exe provided in that link. I
    > could play for nearly one minute then the system hanged up. When I start
    it
    > again there is no movement possible. I think I have to go back to Nvidia
    > 45.xx
    >
    > Michael

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Loki left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > I tried to follow the link but it's gone dead. :( I've always had the same
    > problem when I use any of the current nvidia drivers. I've also tried using
    > the texture command in the config if I remember correctly. Needless to say
    > the only thing I've had work was to run older drivers.
    >
    > Craig could you repost the link or let me know where I can get that exe.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Not providing a link for T2 due to it acting as a no-CD crack? :(

    I don't suppose anyone here has a fix for T2 for the same error?
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    The link is still good, Loki. Did you manage to download one of them and
    get it to work for you?

    -craig

    Loki wrote:
    > I tried to follow the link but it's gone dead. :( I've always had the
    > same problem when I use any of the current nvidia drivers. I've also
    > tried using the texture command in the config if I remember
    > correctly. Needless to say the only thing I've had work was to run
    > older drivers.
    >
    > Craig could you repost the link or let me know where I can get that
    > exe.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > - Loki
    >
    > "Michael Liesert" <liemic4@web.de> wrote in message

    >>> Don't give up - I found the fix! Go back to your current drivers
    >>> and then download the fixed exe from here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1602
    >>>
    >>> Worked for me and many other people.
    >>>
    >>> -craig
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Loki left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > I tried to follow the link but it's gone dead. :( I've always had the
    same
    > > problem when I use any of the current nvidia drivers. I've also tried
    using
    > > the texture command in the config if I remember correctly. Needless to
    say
    > > the only thing I've had work was to run older drivers.
    > >
    > > Craig could you repost the link or let me know where I can get that exe.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Not providing a link for T2 due to it acting as a no-CD crack? :(
    >
    > I don't suppose anyone here has a fix for T2 for the same error?
    > --

    I looked everywhere but could not find any. I wonder if anyone ever found a
    workaround for thief2...........................
    It becomes difficult, when you want to play thief2 and thief 3 on one
    system: For thief2 you have to downgrade to somewhat 4x.xx and for thief3
    you definitely need 56.72 of the detonator drivers. Maybe it was a big
    mistake to buy a nvidia card as a thief2 fan.......................
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Michael Liesert left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > I looked everywhere but could not find any. I wonder if anyone ever found a
    > workaround for thief2...........................
    > It becomes difficult, when you want to play thief2 and thief 3 on one
    > system: For thief2 you have to downgrade to somewhat 4x.xx and for thief3
    > you definitely need 56.72 of the detonator drivers. Maybe it was a big
    > mistake to buy a nvidia card as a thief2 fan.......................

    Is it a gfx driver related problem? I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and I get
    exactly the same error.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Michael Liesert left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > I looked everywhere but could not find any. I wonder if anyone ever
    found a
    > > workaround for thief2...........................
    > > It becomes difficult, when you want to play thief2 and thief 3 on one
    > > system: For thief2 you have to downgrade to somewhat 4x.xx and for
    thief3
    > > you definitely need 56.72 of the detonator drivers. Maybe it was a big
    > > mistake to buy a nvidia card as a thief2 fan.......................
    >
    > Is it a gfx driver related problem? I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and I get
    > exactly the same error.
    > --
    > Stoneskin

    ............now thats interesting. I was deeply convinced that this problem
    only belongs to nvidia drivers.........................The question is:
    where is the mistake? I thought something happened to the nvidia 5x.xx
    drivers to make them incompatible with thief 1 and 2. But considering that
    the problem also exists on ATI cards proofs this theory wrong. Have you
    tried the save_texture_manager ?
    Maybe it's the same error message for a whole bunch of different error
    sources........................

    Michael
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Michael Liesert left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > > Is it a gfx driver related problem? I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and I get
    > > exactly the same error.
    >
    > ...........now thats interesting. I was deeply convinced that this problem
    > only belongs to nvidia drivers.........................The question is:
    > where is the mistake? I thought something happened to the nvidia 5x.xx
    > drivers to make them incompatible with thief 1 and 2. But considering that
    > the problem also exists on ATI cards proofs this theory wrong. Have you
    > tried the save_texture_manager ?
    > Maybe it's the same error message for a whole bunch of different error
    > sources........................

    I don't know what you mean by 'save_texture_manager'. I'll double check
    the error tonight - I'm sure it was the same message tho. If you let me
    know what you mean by save_texture_manager I'll give it a go and post
    back my results.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Michael Liesert left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > > Is it a gfx driver related problem? I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and I
    get
    > > > exactly the same error.
    > >
    > > ...........now thats interesting. I was deeply convinced that this
    problem
    > > only belongs to nvidia drivers.........................The question is:
    > > where is the mistake? I thought something happened to the nvidia 5x.xx
    > > drivers to make them incompatible with thief 1 and 2. But considering
    that
    > > the problem also exists on ATI cards proofs this theory wrong. Have you
    > > tried the save_texture_manager ?
    > > Maybe it's the same error message for a whole bunch of different error
    > > sources........................
    >
    > I don't know what you mean by 'save_texture_manager'. I'll double check
    > the error tonight - I'm sure it was the same message tho. If you let me
    > know what you mean by save_texture_manager I'll give it a go and post
    > back my results.
    > --
    > Stoneskin

    I mean a line in the file 'user.cfg' in the thief2 directory. This line
    says: '; safe_texture_manager' The first hint you get when you search the
    web about problems with nvidia cards is to enable this texture manager by
    deleting the semicolon and saving the file. This helped a lot of nvidia card
    owners. In my case it wasn't helpful. Even the modified "thief.exe" files
    did not help..............................Maybe it can solve you problem?

    Michael
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Michael Liesert left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > I mean a line in the file 'user.cfg' in the thief2 directory. This line
    > says: '; safe_texture_manager' The first hint you get when you search the
    > web about problems with nvidia cards is to enable this texture manager by
    > deleting the semicolon and saving the file. This helped a lot of nvidia card
    > owners. In my case it wasn't helpful. Even the modified "thief.exe" files
    > did not help..............................Maybe it can solve you problem?

    I'll try this tonight. I have no idea of the effect it will have on my
    ATI card tho.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    I created the patched versions of thief 1/2 to bypass this error,
    ttlg/circle decided (as is their wont) not to host the thief 2 patch.

    For any of the posters having problems with thief 1/2 here are all the
    links:

    Thief 2 V1.18 -
    http://www.btinternet.com/~bobruck/files/thief2fixed.zip

    Thief 1 V1.14 -
    http://www.btinternet.com/~bobruck/files/thieffixed114.zip

    Thief 1 V1.33
    http://www.btinternet.com/~bobruck/files/thieffixed133.zip

    Thief Gold V1.37
    http://www.btinternet.com/~bobruck/files/thieffixedgold.zip

    Make sure you get the correct version(s).

    Standard disclaimer applies.

    --
    Bruk

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:40:46 +0200, "busk" <gibberish@secret.com>
    wrote:

    >I get this message when trying to run Thief I under WinXP with an NVIDIA
    >FX5900 Board.
    >
    >Any workarounds?

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Do you know if this fix works on laptops? It would be great to be able to play
    Thief during my business trips rather than on my short breaks at home. Could
    save my marriage! :) Now I just have to wait until I can get home and get my
    CDs. Too bad TDS won't work on the laptop. Guess it'll just have to sit in the
    suitcase until I get home.

    Nomad

Direct3D Games Device Driver Video Games