Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Replay to discontinue... Sort of

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:27:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I had reason to call Replay recently (Upgrading my "Subscription" to
lifetime) and I ask them about the rumor that the REPLAY is being
disontinued... The reply is that next year's model will be HI-Definition
compatable (IN short they are discontinuing the current models and
coming out with a new line that is even better... How expected of them)

And they also told me they are going to (or have already) stop
transfering lifetime subscriptions.. They will, however, repair your old
REPLAY with lifetime so it keeps on a-trucking

Now this was a 1st level billing tech, so I don't know how acciurate his
info is.... but my 5040 is now good to go forever
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:27:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

John in Detroit wrote:

> I had reason to call Replay recently (Upgrading my "Subscription" to
> lifetime) and I ask them about the rumor that the REPLAY is being
> disontinued... The reply is that next year's model will be HI-Definition
> compatable (IN short they are discontinuing the current models and
> coming out with a new line that is even better... How expected of them)

This is about a year old. Also may not be branded a ReplayTV.

>
> And they also told me they are going to (or have already) stop
> transfering lifetime subscriptions.. They will, however, repair your old
> REPLAY with lifetime so it keeps on a-trucking.

They stopped transfers from Showstoppers, as of last week they were
still doing Replays.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:16:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Based on an earlier post today, I wonder if that "repair" is limited to
swap outs for the crippled 55xx units.

From:John in Detroit
Blanked@sbcglobal.net

> I had reason to call Replay recently (Upgrading my "Subscription" to
> lifetime) and I ask them about the rumor that the REPLAY is being
> disontinued... The reply is that next year's model will be
> HI-Definition compatable (IN short they are discontinuing the current
> models and coming out with a new line that is even better... How
> expected of them)
> And they also told me they are going to (or have already) stop
> transfering lifetime subscriptions.. They will, however, repair your
> old REPLAY with lifetime so it keeps on a-trucking
>
> Now this was a 1st level billing tech, so I don't know how acciurate
> his info is.... but my 5040 is now good to go forever
> --
> John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
> "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
> Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:34:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

BruceR wrote:
> Based on an earlier post today, I wonder if that "repair" is limited to
> swap outs for the crippled 55xx units.
\
That was not the way he sounded... However one comment about that swap
out... From what I understand the difference between a 50xx and a 55xx
is one part, just one part, and it's possible they can swap that part
into a new 55xx case so thought it LOOKS like a 55 it works like a 50

Of course... What do I know


What I would like to know is this.. Just what part, how is it marked and
where it it
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:34:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:34:08 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>BruceR wrote:
>> Based on an earlier post today, I wonder if that "repair" is limited to
>> swap outs for the crippled 55xx units.
>\
>That was not the way he sounded... However one comment about that swap
>out... From what I understand the difference between a 50xx and a 55xx
>is one part, just one part, and it's possible they can swap that part
>into a new 55xx case so thought it LOOKS like a 55 it works like a 50
>
>Of course... What do I know
>
>
>What I would like to know is this.. Just what part, how is it marked and
>where it it

The only difference is in information in the PROM on the motherboard.
When you run the Replay software, it determines if the model number is
at least 5500. If it is, the software changes a couple of internal
settings to disable CA & IVS. Recent software keeps checking, and can
disable CA & IVS at any time if it sees 55xx information.You might get
those features if you replaced the PROM with a copy from another
(pre-5500) Replay.

However, I don't know what will happen to both unit's activation, when
the Replay server sees 2 seemingly identical units connect (maybe even
at the same time).

There's a way to get CA & IVS on a 55xx, but you have to have a
program always running on one of your computers, and the Replay
depending on that.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:40:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

John in Detroit wrote:
> I had reason to call Replay recently (Upgrading my "Subscription" to
> lifetime) and I ask them about the rumor that the REPLAY is being
> disontinued... The reply is that next year's model will be
HI-Definition
> compatable (IN short they are discontinuing the current models and
> coming out with a new line that is even better... How expected of
them)


Does anyone have an approx. date of arrival for the Hi-Def model?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:09:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:27:43 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Now this was a 1st level billing tech, so I don't know how acciurate his
>info is.... but my 5040 is now good to go forever

So, what's gonna happen to my replay that's on a subscription based service?
They just gonna wait for mine to die so they can forget about my replay 5508?
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:31:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Since the company will go on, I am sure the support will as well.

They said they will fix them, however remember I'm talking to a 1st
level billing tech, he could not solve my problem (his super did though)

Boll Weevil wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:27:43 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Now this was a 1st level billing tech, so I don't know how acciurate his
>>info is.... but my 5040 is now good to go forever
>
>
> So, what's gonna happen to my replay that's on a subscription based service?
> They just gonna wait for mine to die so they can forget about my replay 5508?
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
!