Replay to discontinue... Sort of

I had reason to call Replay recently (Upgrading my "Subscription" to
lifetime) and I ask them about the rumor that the REPLAY is being
disontinued... The reply is that next year's model will be HI-Definition
compatable (IN short they are discontinuing the current models and
coming out with a new line that is even better... How expected of them)

And they also told me they are going to (or have already) stop
transfering lifetime subscriptions.. They will, however, repair your old
REPLAY with lifetime so it keeps on a-trucking

Now this was a 1st level billing tech, so I don't know how acciurate his
info is.... but my 5040 is now good to go forever
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    John in Detroit wrote:

    > I had reason to call Replay recently (Upgrading my "Subscription" to
    > lifetime) and I ask them about the rumor that the REPLAY is being
    > disontinued... The reply is that next year's model will be HI-Definition
    > compatable (IN short they are discontinuing the current models and
    > coming out with a new line that is even better... How expected of them)

    This is about a year old. Also may not be branded a ReplayTV.

    > And they also told me they are going to (or have already) stop
    > transfering lifetime subscriptions.. They will, however, repair your old
    > REPLAY with lifetime so it keeps on a-trucking.

    They stopped transfers from Showstoppers, as of last week they were
    still doing Replays.

    Based on an earlier post today, I wonder if that "repair" is limited to
    swap outs for the crippled 55xx units.

    From:John in Detroit
    Blanked@sbcglobal.net

    BruceR wrote:
    > Based on an earlier post today, I wonder if that "repair" is limited to
    > swap outs for the crippled 55xx units.
    \
    That was not the way he sounded... However one comment about that swap
    out... From what I understand the difference between a 50xx and a 55xx
    is one part, just one part, and it's possible they can swap that part
    into a new 55xx case so thought it LOOKS like a 55 it works like a 50

    Of course... What do I know

    What I would like to know is this.. Just what part, how is it marked and
    where it it
    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:34:08 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >BruceR wrote:
    >> Based on an earlier post today, I wonder if that "repair" is limited to
    >> swap outs for the crippled 55xx units.
    >\
    >That was not the way he sounded... However one comment about that swap
    >out... From what I understand the difference between a 50xx and a 55xx
    >is one part, just one part, and it's possible they can swap that part
    >into a new 55xx case so thought it LOOKS like a 55 it works like a 50
    >
    >Of course... What do I know
    >

    >What I would like to know is this.. Just what part, how is it marked and
    >where it it

    The only difference is in information in the PROM on the motherboard.
    When you run the Replay software, it determines if the model number is
    at least 5500. If it is, the software changes a couple of internal
    settings to disable CA & IVS. Recent software keeps checking, and can
    disable CA & IVS at any time if it sees 55xx information.You might get
    those features if you replaced the PROM with a copy from another
    (pre-5500) Replay.

    However, I don't know what will happen to both unit's activation, when
    the Replay server sees 2 seemingly identical units connect (maybe even
    at the same time).

    There's a way to get CA & IVS on a 55xx, but you have to have a
    program always running on one of your computers, and the Replay
    depending on that.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    John in Detroit wrote:
    > I had reason to call Replay recently (Upgrading my "Subscription" to
    > lifetime) and I ask them about the rumor that the REPLAY is being
    > disontinued... The reply is that next year's model will be
    HI-Definition
    > compatable (IN short they are discontinuing the current models and
    > coming out with a new line that is even better... How expected of
    them)

    Does anyone have an approx. date of arrival for the Hi-Def model?

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:27:43 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Now this was a 1st level billing tech, so I don't know how acciurate his
    >info is.... but my 5040 is now good to go forever

    So, what's gonna happen to my replay that's on a subscription based service?
    They just gonna wait for mine to die so they can forget about my replay 5508?

    Since the company will go on, I am sure the support will as well.

    They said they will fix them, however remember I'm talking to a 1st
    level billing tech, he could not solve my problem (his super did though)

    Boll Weevil wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:27:43 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Now this was a 1st level billing tech, so I don't know how acciurate his
    >>info is.... but my 5040 is now good to go forever
    >

    > So, what's gonna happen to my replay that's on a subscription based service?
    > They just gonna wait for mine to die so they can forget about my replay 5508?

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

ReplayTV Video Home Theatre