Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video card never goes to FULL 3D clock..

Last response: in Overclocking
November 3, 2012 3:12:35 PM

I have a GTX 560.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have a 520W seasonic modular PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I posted about this before, but I can't seem to find the thread.
I think someone told me to reset my CMOS..
Would this actually be helpful?

When I play games like GTA IV, it stays at 405/915. GPU/MEMORY
It should go to 810/1620.
I was assuming, at first that maybe my CPU/RAM speeds were causing it to perform so poorly. (Although it does case a bottle neck, the performance did drop dramatically after a while.)
But the first day I got my GTX 560, when I bench marked GTA IV, I got around 46/50FPS on high/medium settings.
Now, the benchmark skims around 30/35 FPS.

I've checked, and it never really goes to 810/1620.
I did OC it to 820/1700 to see if it would perform better, but it down clocked to 405/915. a few seconds later. :[

I believe it started dropping in performance after I started over clocking it.
The most I did was around 850/2000. I've only had one system crash when I oc'd to 920/2300.
I use EVGA precision to OC.
My motherboard doesn't allow me to OC in the bios, but I can with the nVidia nTune program and of course the evga precision X program.

What should I do? Is resetting or flashing the CMOS the way to go?
I have this mobo> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...
(and as I've stated, I know ddr2, the PCIe bus, and my CPU are bottle necking me. But I know it not staying at it's right clocks is a big problem in performance as well.)

More about : video card full clock

a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 3:33:18 PM

System specs?
Reset CMOS is a good start. Clean install of Nvidia drivers is another.
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:33:43 PM

What CPU are you using?

If you're using a single monitor, when you alt tab out of the game the core/vram/voltage will drop almost instantly, as EVGA does a nice job with their Precision X software.

Your framerates, however, do suggest there is something going on.

EDIT: I have an EVGA GTX 660 that sits idle speed at ~350Mhz, but when I pull the game to front it clocks up to 1.1Ghz, using the same Precision X software and sitting it on my secondary monitor, for reference.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 3:39:38 PM

Good ideas prior, I would also make sure the PCIE power cables are making good contact. Disconnect the PCIE power cables and reconnect from both the PSU and GPU since your using a modular PSU. Most GPU's will down throttle if you forget to connect the PCIE power cables so its at least possibility.
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:45:45 PM

I run the games in window mode sometimes to check, and it still stays 405/915.
I even did bench marks in window and full screen mode.
Window mode had a 2 FPS difference.
I clicked default on Evga PRECISION X.
Default is 810/2004 apparently.

I will check the two 6 pin connectors, but how do i effectively reset my CMOS?
My main bottle necks are:
8GB DDR2 @ 800mhz. (Which is apparently around a 5FPS difference from DDR3, worst case scenario)
AMD 740 tri core @ 3.4GHZ
PCIe x16. (not 2.0, which means I don't get the full bandwidth of my video card).

I know I won't get the most of out my video card because of this, but the performance still dropped. I've tried the on-screen monitor too, and it still downclocks! :[
m
l

Best solution

November 3, 2012 4:00:20 PM

To reset your CMOS:

1. Flip the switch on the back of your power supply, severing the electrical connection.
2. Unplug power cable from back of power supply.
3. There should be a small, usually red, button somewhere on the bottom-right area of the motherboard. That is the CMOS reset button.
4. Hold that button down for 10 seconds.
5. Plug the power cable back in, flip the switch back on and fire up the PC to see if your issues are fixed.
November 3, 2012 4:04:35 PM

theyeti87 said:
To reset your CMOS:

1. Flip the switch on the back of your power supply, severing the electrical connection.
2. Unplug power cable from back of power supply.
3. There should be a small, usually red, button somewhere on the bottom-right area of the motherboard. That is the CMOS reset button.
4. Hold that button down for 10 seconds.
5. Plug the power cable back in, flip the switch back on and fire up the PC to see if your issues are fixed.

Okay, thanks a lot. I'm going to try this right now.
m
l
November 3, 2012 4:20:32 PM

I couldn't find any red buttons, or any kind of buttons on the edges of my mobo. I'm going to look at this:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

Also, I re-plugged my 6 pin connectors from my PSU/GPU. I'll run a benchmark after I check how to reset my CMOS on my mobo.

EDIT//
My CMOS battery is actually right under my video card.

EDIT//
And to reset my CMOS, I think I have to do something with this:
http://vvcap.net/db/_mRCYae0R5ZBmHWrl-xr.htp
I think I have to remove the plastic sheath type thing and move it to the other two pins. Not too sure.
m
l
November 3, 2012 4:29:59 PM

Is the link above the motherboard you are using, or just a link you are using as reference?
m
l
November 3, 2012 4:49:09 PM

It's the mobo I'm using, my vvcap wasn't posting the new picture so I just decided to shut down and do it. There were 6 pins, and two blue covers. I had to move the CLR 1 to the right, and then wait 10 seconds, and power up. I just did that now, but I am still uncertain if it actually reset my CMOS. I'm going to see if it downclocks now.
m
l
November 3, 2012 4:55:53 PM

Best answer selected by TestOne.
m
l
November 3, 2012 4:56:32 PM

Well, it appears that it isn't down clocking anymore. I'm not sure if it was resetting the cmos or switching 6 pin connectors. But either way, thanks for the advice guys.
Hopefully it isn't a temporary fix. QQ
m
l
!