One dvd burner not reading

jcharrison86

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
my system spec is amd phenom II x4 3.2ghz, 6gb ram, 1tb hardrive for storage and a 640gb for os. 2 dvd rw burners. 950watt, 6870 vga, power supply running windows 7

my problem is that i have 2 burners one shows in bios and the other one does not. the one that shows is not burning dvds properly. so i need the other one to work. it is not showing in bios, my computers nothing. but it is getting power because if i press the eject button it comes on. i try using a different drive, changing the connector power conne3ctor and the ide connector and nothing. i went in to registry and change the upper filter and nothing. plz help. i dont know what to do now. i reformatted cuz that normally solves everything and i stilll have this problem thanks for your help in advance

jcharrison86

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
the burners work with any connectors. i plug them in one by one and they were read in the bios but when two connected together only one works. as if some option is in that only one burner can work at one time or something

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Are these Drives IDE or SATA? you mention IDE so i'm curious if this is the case, do you have the jumpers on "Cable Select" or might you have them both set to master or slave because if this is the situation, it would explain why you could only see one at a time.

And your sure the BIOS is only detecting one or the other?

If your drives are SATA, then which SATA ports are plugged in? for instance, SATA 5 and SATA 6 have DVD's on them but only SATA5 will display in the BIOS. If you switch the DVD's around, the other DVD works on SATA 5 and again nothing on SATA 6. If this is the situation, Try only one Drive plugged into each of these ports at a time and try another SATA cable to rule that out with 100% certainty.