Sign in with
Your question

Updating existing homebuilt

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2010 6:58:50 PM

I built a system in 2006 as follows:

ASUS P5GPL-X SE LGA 775 Intel 915PL ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 541 Prescott 3.2GHz LGA 775 84W Single-Core Processor Model BX80547PG3200EK
Kingston 2 gig SDRAM

I now want to upgrade to Win7 and need to save money. I understand I need to have a new MB and want at least 4 gig RAM, probably more. I am not a gamer or high end user so performance CPU is not an issue. Have always used and liked ASUS and Intel.

My question is, does it make sense to keep the existing CPU and buy the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard and will my CPU work with it. I get very confused about all the chipset standards.

Any suggestions would be appreciated including a new direction. I do not want to buy now only to need something else in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

Soapy
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2010 7:08:11 PM

You don't want to be buying a new LGA775 board. It's a dead socket. What CPUs are out now are all that will ever be out. In addition, you'd be stuck with the obsolete DDR2. It's never a good idea to build on obsolete tech.

Why do you think you need a new board anyway? You can just go out and buy Windows 7 and install it on pretty much any computer...

If you're set on getting a new board, CPU and RAM, I would go on the AMD side to save money. Not only is it cheaper, it more future proof, as AMD doesn't move through their sockets every year. Pick up a X4 620 for $99 and a GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 for $85 after rebate. Grab the G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $115. Everything else should work.

Total cost: $300.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2010 7:46:37 PM

^+1

A budget AMD AM3 system would be the best way for you to go. If you need onboard graphics though then a 780G/785G chipset based board would be a better way to go rather than the 770 board Admiral suggests.
m
l
!