Does multi threading an i7 help with gaming?

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I know some games use 3 cores, I haven't heard of any that use 4. So do any games benefit from multi threading? If some do, is it rare? I'm going to turn it off if the majority of gaming I do won't benefit from it.

13withinfinity

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Wouldn't... that defeat the purpose of owning an i7..?

Most games (post 2005) are made to use only dual cores. There only a handful of them the can use 4+ threads (FSX and Assassin Creed 2 for example).

Are they rare? ATM they are. Although that will sooner or later, that will change. It's only a matter of time.

Hmm.... Not really. The primary reason why someone would have a core i7 is for rendering, video editing, ect. If you just gaming, a core i5 750 will perform just the same and it a lot cheaper.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
hyper-threading, not multi-threading.

multi-threaded games currently usually can only take advantage of 2-4 hardware threads. For the most part, a 4 core hyper-threaded CPU isn't going to help much, but the actual penalty for HT is typically slim to none and more likely to benefit than not.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
multi-threading: independent execution units

hyper-threading: semi-shared resources which typically causes an overall improvement by better utilization of un-used units under heavy loads.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I don't know of any game that uses more then 4 threads. Many RTS games use 4 cores but i think that is the max so far. You could turn Hyperthreading off for now then later when games use more threads you could turn it back on.