How to choose your Graphics Card ... ??

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Guys,

I want to buy a Graphics card for my computer and I want a great one (a powerful one) ... and, every time I want to buy one (for me or for my friends) I ask people for the best one, cause I don't understand the spec of the Graphics Card...

although, I have knowledge(good enough) in the other spec of the computer(such as: processor, ram , HDD, monitor ... etc)... So, for that reason I want to know the spec of how to choose Graphics Card... and, I want to know what does each spec mean(for example : PixelPipelines, resolution, shader, Core Clock, Memory Interface, ...etc) so, that I can choose one easily depends on my needs... I hope there is a tutorial or a book that discuss this material, and helps me to understand that...

and, of course I will not forget to come to ask u for advices for my choice ;)....

Your, The best my friends... Thanks alot :)

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
thank u very much bro... but I need to understand the fundamental of choosing the Graphics Card in general...
and what each aspect in the card mean .... i hope u got my point...

thanks alot

Before buying your GPU.. You have to answer a few questions yourself:
1. What is your budget?
2. Would my PSU be able to handle my GPU?
3. Would my CPU bottleneck my high powered GPU?
4. What is the resolution that i would game on and which monitor do i have?
5. What are the games that i am going to play and at what settings.

Currently HD5970 is the most powerful card that we have out in the market selling at $600!

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
thank u very much bro... but I need to understand the fundamental of choosing the Graphics Card in general...
and what each aspect in the card mean .... i hope u got my point...

thanks alot

Check the post below you:

Before buying your GPU.. You have to answer a few questions yourself:
1. What is budget?
2. Would my PSU be able to handle my GPU?
3. Would my CPU bottleneck my high powered GPU?
4. What is the resolution that i would game on and which monitor do i have?
5. What are the games that i am going to play and at what settings.

Currently HD5970 is the most powerful card that we have out in the market selling at $600!

Now, regarding your original question. Those concepts you enumerated come from the architecture of a generation of cards. These concepts will give you an understanding of the capabilities and features of the cards, not about its performance in regard to another generation of cards.
You can't compare cards on these concepts only, because due to the change in the architecture a card which might seem slower on paper can be faster in real world.
If you really want to find out more about those concepts google them. If you want to know how to choose a GPU, check benchmarks and answer yourself the questions which hell_storm2004 pointed out.

1) Answer the question why do you want a powerful graphics card?
If it is for gaming, you go one direction.
If it is for computing, like folding, then it is another.
2) For gaming, your need for graphics power is mainly determined by the resolution you will be gaming at.

3) Will you be playing one particular game, or are you looking for a card that does well in a spectrum of games?
If you mainly play just one game, then research the performance benchmarks for that game and your resolution.

4) Do not bother with the specs. Results is what counts.

5) Do not anguish over differences in cards that are similarly priced; their performance will be close enough.

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
This is the spec of my computer:

I7 2.67 (Processor)
Asus P6T (MotherBoard)
DDR3 (2*3 GB 1333)
750 or 1000 W Thermaltake (Power Supply)

and, for the question u asked me for... I want it for games, and I want it to run several games specially Crysis... I want to run it under everything Ultra high(the highest thing)...

for the budget, I can afford between 350-300 $ ... I don't want the highest card avialble, I want the one below it, cause usually the differences in the spec between them is pearly seen and in the price it's a big difference .. So, I will go with the 2nd highest card with reasonable price :)

HD5870 is the best single chip card available at $400. It would currently come up as 3rd ranked in the heavyweight list after HD5970 and GTX295. You can go for that, GTX295 is old, so no point going for it. And if you cant stretch your budget then i would say HD5850 is also an awesome card.

If you have bought your PSU, then its fine. Otherwise a 1000W PSU is way tooooo overkill for a single card setup. Even if you go for an SLI/CF setup in future then 750W is enough.

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Ok

So, the best card available right now is HD 5970 but since it's too expensive.. So, the next one behind it is HD 5870 and then HD 5850...

My Questions are :

1) Is there is a big difference between these two cards ?? I mean something that you can notice it, because of course HD 5870 is better than HD 5850, but is the difference that encourage u to go for it ??... If not i'll go for the HD 5850

2) Does those two cards run Crysis under all setting ultra high ??

3) Should I buy a card now or wait ?? because, I really did wait for along time(around 6 months) only to wait for Cards that support DX11, and now there they are... So, I need to buy a card that give me for more than two years(SLI will help me in that)..

4) Which brand do u recommend for me to go for it ?? SAPPHIRE, Diamond, Asus .. etc .. and what is the differences between them ??

Thanks alot Guys, and sorry for disturbing u ;)

"Ok

So, the best card available right now is HD 5970 but since it's too expensive.. So, the next one behind it is HD 5870 and then HD 5850...

My Questions are :

1) Is there is a big difference between these two cards ?? I mean something that you can notice it, because of course HD 5870 is better than HD 5850, but is the difference that encourage u to go for it ??... If not i'll go for the HD 5850
"

Thats can be depending on resolution. If you have a high resolution like 1920 X 1200 or above, it can mean the difference between lagging and smooth game gameplay.

2) Does those two cards run Crysis under all setting ultra high ??

Crysis%208xAA.png

3) Should I buy a card now or wait ?? because, I really did wait for along time(around 6 months) only to wait for Cards that support DX11, and now there they are... So, I need to buy a card that give me for more than two years(SLI will help me in that)..

If you keep on waiting, you'll never get anywhere. get what you need now.

4) Which brand do u recommend for me to go for it ?? SAPPHIRE, Diamond, Asus .. etc .. and what is the differences between them ??
Scene each person brand preference is different i cant really say which one to go after. What i can say is get one with a good warranty and use high quality parts.

Thanks alot Guys, and sorry for disturbing u ;)

Thats ok. most people on here dont mind helping others.

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Thank u so much guys for helping me...

So, I will go with HD 5850 SAPPHIRE .. Since my display is 19 inch(1440 * 900) and the frame rate is good with 32.0 .......

Any advice before buying ?? :)

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Heat and dust end up killing most cards in the end, and down the road a bit, you'll be wanting to clean your new card. Now is the time to take cooling into consideration. Here's two GTS 250's with the same specs. Which will stay cooler, and be easier to clean?

this:

or this:

q8y

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi Guys...

Now I want to buy this card( I should bought it before 1 month, but I have problem with my visa card before)... So, before I buy the HD 5850 card... I read that buying 2 of HD5770 if my motherboard support cross fire(My mother board P6T, and I believe that it does support that) it would be much better in performance than a single HD 5850 card.. in the budget there is not that big difference only 20$...

Thanks alot....

TRENDING THREADS