5770 driver trouble

FireproofSkunk

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I'm having an issue with drivers for my HD 5770. I should warn you that I am a total noob to building computers, but I would very much like to get this resolved and would be very grateful if someone could help me out.

I've just recently finished overhauling an relatively old computer of mine with a new motherboard, processor and graphics card. Right after installing windows 7 and the appropriate ATI driver my 5770 isn't working correctly, giving me the following error in device manager:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Aero effects refuse to run and when I start Halo it returns the error:

"A problem occurred initializing DirectDraw. Hardware acceleration maybe disabled, please run DXDIAG."

I originally suspected the old nvidia drivers from the previous card had been interfering, but I have used several programs to completely nuke my drivers of all things nvidia and it still returns the same error.

My Build:
-500w psu
-2gb ram
-K9A2 Neo2 motherboard
-Amaze radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5
-AMD Phenom II X4 925
-Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Before you ask, there is no integrated GPU on my motherboard.

Any help would be very appreciated.

shadzovgra

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I was having the same sort of problem, so I sent an email to ATI, all they suggested was to upgrade the drivers to the latest (10.1) and the problem was solved after I did a clean install of Windows 7 x64. Personally I think the problem was Driver corruption during the change of Graphics Cards. Best of luck and good gaming.