Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New hard drive help

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 14, 2012 4:20:15 PM

My current hard drive is making a lot of noise such as grinding etc. It started it about a month or 2 ago and i feel like this noise is telling me to buy a new one. What are the best hard drives out there. I dont have a budget and make it internal SATA. Also, how do i make a full transfer of all my files to the new hard drive? Is it possible to transfer everything and then just turn it on an have it running identical to how it did with the other hard drive or are the files all discombobulated everywhere?

More about : hard drive

February 14, 2012 4:30:32 PM

western digital is the most reliable if reviews count (and they sure count to me) so i would recommend a western digital caviar black 1tb, 1.5tb, or a 2tb hhd.
a b G Storage
February 14, 2012 4:30:44 PM

hello,
if you mean by "best" you can get a 10000 RPM hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or a 7200rpm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you are looking at speed vs storage. when you are shopping for hard drives look for cache size, the bigger the better. cache is a buffer on a hard drive

i would backup your system and install a new os on the new drive, but there are applications to make an image of your old HD and copy it over to a new one
Related resources
February 14, 2012 4:32:44 PM

As far as the best hard drive there really isn't one. It comes down to what you are looking for. Do you want max storage, reliability, speed? A few popular choices currently are:

WD cavier black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

WD VelociRaptor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are interested in a SSD for a ton of speed and system snappiness you have a lot of options based on the size you want and the speed and the price you are willing to pay. There are a few great articles on here explaining the pros and cons of SSD drives
a b G Storage
February 14, 2012 4:42:48 PM

tatter_punch said:
My current hard drive is making a lot of noise such as grinding etc. It started it about a month or 2 ago and i feel like this noise is telling me to buy a new one. What are the best hard drives out there. I dont have a budget and make it internal SATA. Also, how do i make a full transfer of all my files to the new hard drive? Is it possible to transfer everything and then just turn it on an have it running identical to how it did with the other hard drive or are the files all discombobulated everywhere?


In answer to your second question... yes - lots of software options that can "clone" your current drive.. copy it all to a new one (including windows keys info etc) so you can just throw away th eold one and carry on with the new one as if nothing has happened.

Acronis True image (Cost)
Norton Ghost (cost)
Reflect (free .. .http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)

you need some tech knowledge, but not much - somone can probably link you a guide.

Cheers
February 15, 2012 5:07:30 AM

yoji said:
In answer to your second question... yes - lots of software options that can "clone" your current drive.. copy it all to a new one (including windows keys info etc) so you can just throw away th eold one and carry on with the new one as if nothing has happened.

Acronis True image (Cost)
Norton Ghost (cost)
Reflect (free .. .http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)

you need some tech knowledge, but not much - somone can probably link you a guide.

Cheers


my current is a western digital and it has help up awesome until now so ill probably just get another one and as for acronis that'll make an exact copy and transfer it to a new hdd? Just making sure ik what its gonna do first haha
a b G Storage
February 15, 2012 12:57:47 PM

tatter_punch said:
my current is a western digital and it has help up awesome until now so ill probably just get another one and as for acronis that'll make an exact copy and transfer it to a new hdd? Just making sure ik what its gonna do first haha


I just used Acronis True image to do exactly what you planning to do.. i.e. transfer my current HDD to a SSD
Worked fine.

I have used Reflect in the past as well - that worked fine as well ... not used Ghost... but it well regarded.

Just check. You may get an appropriate migration tool with your new HDD (prob not if you get an OEM HDD... but retail... you may). I got the use of Acronis with my new SSD... so thats why I used it.

HTH
Cheers
!