Overclocking CPU and MOBO

Greetings gentlemen and ladies.

This is my first time being such a popular website that promotes overclocking and many other computer stuff. . . . WOW!! is my first reacting.

However my first question being a first time member to this place is the following:

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 running @ 2.83Ghz along with 8Gb of ram with a freq. stated at 333.3Mhz. Altogether running on a pretty solid Motherboard made by ASUS; it is the P5Q-PRO with the most up to date bios (2102) at least most up to date that i could find.

And my question is this: how can i overclock the cpu along with the ram and the mobo to make my overall system faster??? Anyone with help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

-MK :hello:
4 answers Last reply
More about overclocking mobo
  1. Im just wondering how that would help when i am not really such a good mathematician, and i dont know as much about computers as the people on this site and this is why i am asking for some step by step help. . . . please??

thank y0u
  2. Unfortunately, we are not going to give you step-by-step help. Overclocking an unlocked "K" model CPU is relatively straightforward. Overclocking LGA775 processors is more of an art. Everything interacts with everything else. That is why we call them guides. :)

We can answer any specific questions however.

We have two pretty good guides here: one based on an Asus motherboard (the one that henydiah linked to) and one based on a Gigabyte motherboard. I think G'byte boards are easier to overclock, but I am biased (I have several).

I am unfamiliar with the Asus BIOS, but here are some suggestions:
    Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00 or whatever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB (assuming you are using DDR2 RAM). Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 333 MHz, your memory frequency should be at 333 MHz and your memory clock should be at 667 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio. That means your RAM is running synchronomously with your CPU. This will give you the beast stability.

Keep your core voltage under 1.45 volts and your load temps under 70 C. You will need better than stock cooling if you increase your core voltage. The Hiper 212+ (any version) is an excellent cooler for the money.

I have a Q9550 (C3 stepping :() in a G'byte P45 motherboard running at 3.6 GHz (8.5 X 425 MHz), 24 hour Prime95 stable. The stepping is a core revision. The last one is an E0 stepping - supposed to be a better overclocker. You should be able to reach 3.3 GHz.

As far as math is concerned, all you need is simple multiplication. For a Q9550, 8.5 X FSB = CPU core speed
  3. Thank you very much for the straightforward/basic reply (no offense to you) and thank you for providing me with the necessary information :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking World Of Warcraft