SSD Problems sudden space loss

p0rtal

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I have a 64gb SSD and a 1tb HHD, windows 7 was installed on the ssd with some other small programs, all of my games are installed onto my HDD. Steam is also installed on the HDD but when I install steam games into my HDD, I lose space on my SSD.

Sometimes when I check my computer for the space available on my SSD, its different. 15.1, then 14.9, this is within a few seconds and not having downloaded anything. Whats going on? My bootup and shutdown have slowed a bit, am i going to have to wipe the os and start over again to fix this?

parkerj

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
had a similar problem myself today, if the ssd is a fresh install i'd suggest running a disk clean up then in the advanced options deleting previous restore points, this might explain where some of the data is coming from. I was told that coz they os is a fresh install on the ssd it goes a bit mad for a while creating restore points but this should settle out. Probably not a great answer but might explain where some of the new data is coming from your ssd, gl finding a boffin who can really help.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Your profile is on the C:\ drive unless you moved it... Temp folder also is on the C: drive... etc..

So basically you have to figure out what is growing... most prb cause IE cache and temp folder

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

That wouldnt explain why your number is getting lower as you explained earlier... that was static used space