Sign in with
Your question

Trying to salvage old parts and build a new PC at the same time.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • NAS / RAID
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2010 10:06:55 PM

Hi there, I've got two small puzzles to figure out.

My current system:
Intel Core 2 Duo 8500
Gigabyte P45 MB
8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 8500 RAM (G.skill)
Nvidia 9600 GT Video card
3X WD 500 GB Hard disks.
Windows 7 64bit home premium.
Antec Sonata Case
Rosewell 750 Watt PS

This system is used for Adobe After Effects and motion graphic design. Which is why the RAM is so high.

What I need to do is get a NAS setup with FTP function that doubles as a reliable backup source. Double bonus would be to make that a low power one. I was shopping on Newegg and the ballpark for many of the NAS devices that I've seen is around $500. Since I'm planning on upgrading to a new i7 computer this year I figured I could do something with my current parts and save myself the cash.

My question then being is using these parts, what would be the ideal way to make a low power FTP NAS (using Free NAS or some similar resource)?

The less money I need to spend the better. I was thinking of buying a Micro ATX board/case and transfer the processor to it but it seems an awful waste of a great MB in the Gigabyte as well as the gobs of RAM available to me. Any suggestions?

More about : salvage parts build time

February 9, 2010 11:08:55 PM

Seems like a waste of parts to relegate them down to only using them for NAS functions. You could try to sell them or rethink your plan of getting an i7. A q9550 would get you pretty good performance upgrade without rebuilding the whole system. Sell the E8500 while it'll still get a decent price and build a NAS with like a $50 dual core.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2010 1:30:19 AM

:D 
Hahah, I've been hestiant to upgrade just for that reason. The 8500 is a monster dual core and until recently easily outperformed an older Mac Pro (dual dual core 3.0 GHz) I had back at the office most of the time in After Effects. We've got a new Octo Mac Pro at the office and the 8500 is beginning to feel it's age.

Another option I was thinking which like you guys mentioned is overkill (like having a Mustang and using it as a golf cart) is buy a nice quiet ATX case, a 400 Watt HQ PS and transfer it over to it. Something I could swing for about $100 off Newegg.

Ironically I have half a mind to just continue sitting on the sidelines until something more beefy comes along, it always does.
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:44:48 AM

Do your apps need more than 2 cores? If not then I would stay with the E8500. It is capable of performance almost equal to the i5.

You didn't mention if you overclock or not but since you compared your E8500 with a Mac I'm guessing that you don't. If you buy a good aftermarket cooler and overclock that E8500 it will be a screamer.
m
l
!