Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2600k suddenly unstable - is it my ram upgrade?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 4, 2012 7:24:28 AM

Hi everyone, I've had my 2600k overclocked for some time now... I'm usually at 4.4 ghz, but I also have BIOS settings saved for 4.7 and 4.8. All 3 were found to be stable under intelburntest. The 4.4 Ghz overclock has never caused me any issues, but for some reason 4.7 and 4.8 Ghz like to freeze OS X occasionally, despite intelburntest previously claimed that it's stable.

I just upgraded my RAM from 16gb to 32gb a few days ago, and although I hadn't noticed any stability issues, I decided to run intelburntest anyway. When I tested it with intelburntest, My computer BSOD's or freezes almost immediately at any of my overclocks. The 4.7 and 4.8 overclocks will run a little longer, but they are sending temps all the way up to 96 degrees!!!! Prime95 does the same thing.

The only thing I changed in the BIOS is the amount of shared memory to the internal graphics, because windows wouldn't boot unless I gave it at least 256mb (it was at 64mb before).

What's going on here? Am I correct to believe this is related to my RAM, or has my CPU just suddenly decided it needs more voltage? Should I be trusting these programs? Like i said, I haven't noticed any stability issues unless I run prime95 or intelburntest.

i7-2600k, 32gb Corsair Vengeance Memory @ 1600 mhz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1

I should also mention that the previous ram was 16 Corsair Vengeance Blue with 9-9-9-24 timing. The new ram's riming is 10-10-10-27. I'm not sure if that matters or not, but the bios seems to be detecting it correctly.

EDIT: I thought I fried my cpu for a minute... I was playing a game when it froze up on me, and when I rebooted, the vcore was reading 0.9 (even though it was set to 1.3) and the temp was at 88 degrees. It wouldn't boot a bunch of times, so I let it sit for a while and finally it booted up and is back to normal.

More about : 2600k suddenly unstable ram upgrade

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2012 10:12:36 AM

You have a few things going on here.

I thought 1600 was considered an overclock for the IMC on Sandy bridge. What speed was your 16G of RAM?

Did you replace 4 sticks or just add two? Overclocking can be more difficult when the IMC has to deal with all the slots vs two, or one.

I would really try to nail down the heat too.

What voltage is your RAM running at now vs then?

Is it possible you loosened your CPU heat sink while installing the RAM? Maybe dislodged the fan connection?

So many possibilities.
m
l
a c 140 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2012 10:21:07 AM

On many boards running unbuffered ram when you max it out the memory controller will become unstable. Try uping the voltage and relaxing the timings. And what the hell do you need 32gb of ram for?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 11:14:38 AM

first step is to put it back the way it was before your problems started.
m
l

Best solution

a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
November 4, 2012 11:45:53 AM

egilbe said:
first step is to put it back the way it was before your problems started.

Agreed! Putting it back to where it was before the problems arose and retesting will confirm that you were even stable with your original settings.

Arriving at true stability requires more than just Intel Burn or Prime95, stress testing, because neither test Graphics and Sound load, you have to additionally test with some benchmarking programs and gaming to arrive at a truly stable machine.
November 5, 2012 8:49:31 PM

I put the old ram back in and it was stable. I swapped the 32gb back in, and it turns out it just needed a voltage increase. I had to bump it from 1.310 up to 1.360. So i guess the ram just needed a little extra to compensate. Btw, the ram is rated at 1600 mhz, and i replaced all four sticks of ram.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 10:26:27 PM

Glad you got it all worked out. I am surprised that SPD didn't set the voltage for you.
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:26:19 AM

egilbe said:
Glad you got it all worked out. I am surprised that SPD didn't set the voltage for you.

Just to clarify, I think i was being a little vague. I meant i had to increase the vcore, not the voltage of the memory itself. I don't know what spd means.
m
l
a c 251 à CPUs
a c 171 K Overclocking
November 6, 2012 12:30:55 AM

Going from 2 modules to 4 modules puts an additional burden on the CPU's memory controller. Your OC stability therefore suffers as the CPU is doing more work. AT moderate OC's, you can , as you have seen, overcome this with a voltage bump. However, at higher OC's were temperature rather than voltage was the limiting factor, this isn't going to help.
m
l
November 6, 2012 1:58:54 AM

I was aware of that effect with 2 modules versus 4, after doing a little research trying to troubleshoot this. I was using a 4 memory slots with my 16gb before though. Is that normal for the amount of ram itself to make a difference?

Also, do i mark this thread solved, or should i wait for a moderator to do it?

Thanks for your help everyone. Now I'm going to get to work on perfecting my 4.7 overclock.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2012 4:33:05 PM

Select a best answer. SPD is a chip that declares to system BIOS at startup the module's size, speed, voltage, and data path width.
m
l
November 7, 2012 10:10:54 AM

egilbe said:
Select a best answer. SPD is a chip that declares to system BIOS at startup the module's size, speed, voltage, and data path width.

I see good to know. I should also add I solved the outrageous heat problem. My cpu's fan connector was partially unplugged from my fan controller and was cutting in and out. I need to pay more attention to these things! I taped it just to make sure it wouldn't happen again. I'm still going to try and re-apply thermal paste though. I think I put too much on. It may just be that I'm in an upstairs apartment and my case is covered in insulation, but I think 86 degress under IBT is still a little much.
m
l
November 7, 2012 10:13:14 AM

Best answer selected by jamiethemorris.
m
l
!