rhitriggster

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with using Highpoint RocketRAID 640 PCIe 4 port SATA III Card?

I am using it with 3 Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB drives together in a RAID 5 configuration and I went through the steps supplied by Highpoint to setup my RAID and got it to the point where the RAID is Initializing and here is my question...

Approixamately how long should this step take? It started on Sunday midday sometime (3-5pm) and it is now 8pm Tuesday and it has still not finished initializing. Is this time frame legit for that large of a RAID? If not any ideas what could be wrong?

InfidelPimp

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Yeah, it's hung. It took far less time to finish building the 8x750 GB RAID5 array in my current desktop. "Intiailizing" should be pretty quick, it's the actual building of the array that usually takes the most time, and either way, a 3 drive array should build pretty quick - at the least, if it's not done after you get a full night's sleep, something's [probably] gone wrong.

That said, my experience with Highpoint (and 3 the other "cheap" RAID cards) is that they just didn't effing work, so I moved up to a proper Adaptec model that cost $600, instead of trying another ~$200 card that I couldn't get running, so I can't really offer any insight into how to get your card working.

TRENDING THREADS