my specs:
Intel dual core E2140 1.6 ghz
2 gb ram
9800gtx+
Is my processor bottlenecking my video card

Yes.
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:36:00 PM

Yes. That processor is quite weak especially if you don't OC it.
Your motherboard can probably handle much better processors however so tell us how much you can spend to upgrade the cpu.
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:36:10 PM

yes... :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:38:48 PM

Are you suffering any problems in games?

If not then who cares.
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:40:25 PM

strangestranger said:

If not then who cares.

I think he cares otherwise he wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. :sol: 
a c 140 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:45:06 PM

strangestranger said:

If not then who cares.

+1

He probably read a whole bunch of threads talking about CPU's bottlenecking a graphics card and presented the question. The simple answer is YES, it is "bottlenecking" your video. However, every CPU will create a bottleneck of some sort. There are so many bottlenecks in your computer, I don't want to even list them all. A faster CPU will give you better video performance, but isn't that ALWAYS the case, no matter what you have? I would agree that your CPU is not optimal for gaming, and is probably holding your in game performance back. Some games are really CPU dependent and really this would really be a CPU bottlenecking a video card, it would be a CPU causing general gaming performance issues.
February 2, 2010 3:50:40 PM

If it is okay with you all, I'd like to piggyback this thread to ask a similar question about my rig (Q6600, 4GB OCZ RAM, XFX HD5870, ASUS P5N32-E MB, Ultra 1000W Power Supply) I still use XP, but just bought Win 7 64 bit....will upgrade this weekend....I hope!

I added the 5870 2 weeks ago and it is awesome! (The $400 was all I could afford right now, so I chose to upgrade my GPU.) Even so, I know very well that my CPU and my MB are bottlenecking my GPU, but I'm curious just how much of a difference I'd see once I do either of two things:

1. If I OC my CPU to 3 Ghz, how much of a difference am I likely to notice in games such as COD, HALO, Bioshock, Crysis, etc.?

2. Later this year, I plan to buy new CPU/MB/RAM to bring my rig up to date. Assuming my CPU is i7, good MB to support the CPU and min. 8 gigs of high-speed RAM, how big a difference will I notice?

I know there are all sorts of variables that would affect my game play, but can anyone offer ideas or thoughts? TIA 4 all input!
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 3:55:06 PM

Whilst your fps will go up, I am not sure you be able to see it.

Crysis maybe but it depends on the game. The others you listed are a piece of piss to run so there would be no benefit. Unless you are getting poor fps that can not be attributed to the gpu, I wouldn't worry about it.

However at the same time, if you get a nice cooler it wouldn't hurt to try and get a few extra Mhz.
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 4:11:58 PM

Yeah, the q6600 will only bottleneck the most CPU intensive games. OCing will help with those and you should as there is no reason not to. Even on the stock cooler I'm sure you can OC it a decent amount.
February 4, 2010 6:55:00 AM

Thanks. I appreciate your responses!
February 4, 2010 8:27:53 AM

clever_noob said:
my specs:
Intel dual core E2140 1.6 ghz
2 gb ram
9800gtx+
Is my processor bottlenecking my video card

yes it is- i had a E2200 which was 2.2 ghz and the same card. i upgraded to the q9550 and it was like night and day in all games, but especially gta 4 which i used to play alot. i'd say go quad if you can afford it, especially after seeing how Battlefield BC2 plays with a quad versus a dual core. my cpu is very good. i have it overclocked to 3.5 on a cheap air cooler and i only raised the voltage a little bit.
!