Sign in with
Your question

Puttin sounds on my email notification

Last response: in Windows XP
September 26, 2012 8:32:09 PM

I have a problem and I hope some one has an answer. I have been trying to change the sound of my incoming mail. When I open sound to look for the new mail link I open it to browse and I get all so the sounds for Windows XP but It does not allow me to search my own music files. I have looked all over but cannot find a way to open them from sound.
Dottie
September 26, 2012 10:25:11 PM

You must convert your music clips to .wav format in order to use them as Windows sounds.
m
l
September 26, 2012 10:54:22 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
You must convert your music clips to .wav format in order to use them as Windows sounds.

The music that I want to access is in .wav format. But I cannot find a way to get to the music from the sounds program. I get all the original sounds that come with XP but I just to be able to go from that to my music. Some where I have lost that way in to my music.
Dottie
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2012 3:27:06 AM

OK, go to the control panel to the sounds, select 'New Mail Notification', then hit the Browse button and browse to your sound files.
m
l
September 28, 2012 5:32:12 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
OK, go to the control panel to the sounds, select 'New Mail Notification', then hit the Browse button and browse to your sound files.

I have no problems getting to the sounds and browseingbutI canot get past the generic sounds and be able to access my music sounds. Something appears to be missing allowing me to go to my music file.
Dottiem
m
l
September 28, 2012 6:33:14 PM

U mean U browse to the folder they are in, but U can't see them?

If so, even if they are wave files they may be incompatible.
I know they are *.wav format, but what about the encoding?

If U can't see them in the folder that U browsed, they may need conversion.

The most simple way is to use good old Sound recorder.
U can open it from Start menu or U can locate it in System 32 folder, the Sndrec32.exe
Open your Wave file with it, and click File Properties to see under Audio Format the MHZ,sample rate, bla,bla,bla...
Under convert U have to choose the format . Try PCM or Mpeg layer 3 . (depends on your codec pack)
Be careful NOT to use very high settings .

If not, post it in a zip file and I'll convert it.

:hello: 
m
l
September 29, 2012 5:14:50 PM

me 1 said:
U mean U browse to the folder they are in, but U can't see them?

If so, even if they are wave files they may be incompatible.
I know they are *.wav format, but what about the encoding?

If U can't see them in the folder that U browsed, they may need conversion.

The most simple way is to use good old Sound recorder.
U can open it from Start menu or U can locate it in System 32 folder, the Sndrec32.exe
Open your Wave file with it, and click File Properties to see under Audio Format the MHZ,sample rate, bla,bla,bla...
Under convert U have to choose the format . Try PCM or Mpeg layer 3 . (depends on your codec pack)
Be careful NOT to use very high settings .

If not, post it in a zip file and I'll convert it.

Some of what you are asking for is above my pay grade. How do I open the sound recorder from start menue and I do not know how to locate the System 32 folder, the Sndrec.32.exe. I used to go to sounds and then from there I could find my music fold. No more can do. Help
dottiem

m
l
September 30, 2012 6:14:08 PM

Start>Programs>Accesories>Entertainment>Sound recorder. Open your wave file with it.(U can open it normaly, File>open, or just go to the folder where your wave file is and drag and drop it in sound recorder.)
(you can also find Sound recorder here: C:\Windows\System32\Sndrec32.exe)

Then,after you opened the wave file with sound recorder, click File>Properties> and click convert.
On format choose Mpeg layer 3, and choose attributes(not too high).
Then play it to see if it's ok, then save it to a different file and try adding it as mail sound again.

If that is not the problem, and there is somehow something wrong with actually changing the sound events in Windows , then U can try Desktop architect (a little freeware program that I use to customize) and change the sound event from there.I'm used to customize everything. From wallpaper, to colors, icons and sound events with it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other...

m
l
!