Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any way to adjust recording times?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:41:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
end of various shows as well.

Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.

Yes, I realize the complications that could arise if recording two shows
back-to-back. Just wondering if there's a way.

More about : adjust recording times

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:41:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

jwardl wrote:

> Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
> timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
> get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
> end of various shows as well.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
> beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
> to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
> minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.

If you have a computer running WIRNS (search Replay forum at
avsforums.com) you can activate "showguard" and pad the end a variable
amount. "Sportsguard" will similarly pad the end of only Sports
programs. Nothing will pad the beginning globally.

Considering that this can be done to the individual channels with
greater flexibility, it isn't worth the effort or the potential
problems. To use the term "most" you must have one crummy cable
distribution system. This rarely happens to any of my recordings.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:13:57 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>jwardl wrote:
>
>> Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
>> timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
>> get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
>> end of various shows as well.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
>> beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
>> to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
>> minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.
>
>If you have a computer running WIRNS (search Replay forum at
>avsforums.com) you can activate "showguard" and pad the end a variable
>amount.

This (showguard) will remain set after you disconnect WiRNS. Mine has
for several months now.

> "Sportsguard" will similarly pad the end of only Sports
>programs. Nothing will pad the beginning globally.
>
>Considering that this can be done to the individual channels with
>greater flexibility, it isn't worth the effort or the potential
>problems.

However, such individual padding can NOT be applied to theme channels,
so is of very limited benefit.

>To use the term "most" you must have one crummy cable
>distribution system. This rarely happens to any of my recordings.
>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Related resources
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:31:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I don't think there is a way, I do think TV stations need to check THEIR
clocks against the National Bureau of Standards more often cause
watching LIVE TV I often see shows starting before their scheduled time,
and my watch is set to the NBS/NIST standards

jwardl wrote:
> Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
> timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
> get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
> end of various shows as well.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
> beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
> to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
> minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.
>
> Yes, I realize the complications that could arise if recording two shows
> back-to-back. Just wondering if there's a way.
>
>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:19:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:31:19 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I don't think there is a way, I do think TV stations need to check THEIR
>clocks against the National Bureau of Standards more often cause
>watching LIVE TV I often see shows starting before their scheduled time,
>and my watch is set to the NBS/NIST standards


You don't suppose they do this on purpose?

Networks enforce loyalty by teasing you with the beginning of the next
show before you flip the dial from the last one.
Ted Turner went the other way by starting all of his 5 minutes late.
That way you could flip to TBS after you decided you didn't like what
you were watching on another channel. When that show was over you had
already missed the first 5 minutes of the next show on other channels.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:19:39 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:31:19 GMT, John in Detroit
><Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>I don't think there is a way, I do think TV stations need to check THEIR
>>clocks against the National Bureau of Standards more often cause
>>watching LIVE TV I often see shows starting before their scheduled time,
>>and my watch is set to the NBS/NIST standards
>
>
>You don't suppose they do this on purpose?
>
>Networks enforce loyalty by teasing you with the beginning of the next
>show before you flip the dial from the last one.
>Ted Turner went the other way by starting all of his 5 minutes late.
>That way you could flip to TBS after you decided you didn't like what
>you were watching on another channel. When that show was over you had
>already missed the first 5 minutes of the next show on other channels.

A smaller annoyance I just noticed, is that when watching a movie on
Lifetime they'll say "You're Movie's On" then immediately show that to
be a lie by having more commercials.

Also, too many channels are now showing commercials DURING the show.
Most are just on-screen graphics, but I've some (on G4TECHTV) that
have sound too. You'll be watching a show and be interrupted with a
(loud) BANG! CLANK! PFFFFT! CLANG! that has nothing to do with the
current show and even hides some of it's audio.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
June 2, 2005 10:01:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> Also, too many channels are now showing commercials DURING the show.

That's the alternate use for Commercial Advance. Press the C/A button
twice and it covers them up nicely.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:01:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:01:36 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Also, too many channels are now showing commercials DURING the show.
>
>That's the alternate use for Commercial Advance. Press the C/A button
>twice and it covers them up nicely.

Since the commericials I was talking about are on at THE SAME TIME as
the show, there's no way to skip them without missing part of the
show.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
June 2, 2005 11:37:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> Since the commericials I was talking about are on at THE SAME TIME as
> the show, there's no way to skip them without missing part of the
> show.

I think you misunderstand. Cover, not skip.

When you press C/A, you get a blue banner for about 15 seconds that
covers the lower 1/6 or so of the screen. Coincidentally, that's where
the in-show ads sit and how long they are.

Press it twice, and the C/A setting is not disturbed.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 11:37:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:37:11 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>> Since the commericials I was talking about are on at THE SAME TIME as
>> the show, there's no way to skip them without missing part of the
>> show.
>
>I think you misunderstand. Cover, not skip.
>
>When you press C/A, you get a blue banner for about 15 seconds that
>covers the lower 1/6 or so of the screen. Coincidentally, that's where
>the in-show ads sit and how long they are.
>

The most annoying part is the NOISE (in upper case letters because
it's loud). Does the CA button affect THAT? Anyway, you would have
already been annyyed by the time you find out about the ad.

>Press it twice, and the C/A setting is not disturbed.


BTW, thinking of covering things, what I'd really like to cover is the
PREVIEWS that come right before the show itself and tell you too much,
therefore making actually watching the show less interesting.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
June 3, 2005 6:35:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I guess the shows I watch don't have noises with the ads. I may have
been annoyed by the time the ad is on the screen, but, by covering it, I
can actually watch the show, and not have my eyes distracted by the
brightly-colored spinning dancing blinking ad on the bottom.

Interestingly, the ads are a good confirmation that C/A works - I only
ever see the ads during the first 30 seconds or so right after and just
before a commercial break.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 6:35:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:35:24 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I guess the shows I watch don't have noises with the ads.

So far I haven't seen any (noiny in-show ads) except on that one
channel (G4TECHTV).

> I may have
>been annoyed by the time the ad is on the screen, but, by covering it, I
>can actually watch the show, and not have my eyes distracted by the
>brightly-colored spinning dancing blinking ad on the bottom.

Another case of people being different. I would have already been
annoyed by the intrusion, and subsequent effects would make little
difference.

>
>Interestingly, the ads are a good confirmation that C/A works - I only
>ever see the ads during the first 30 seconds or so right after and just
>before a commercial break.

That's where they usually are (particularly just after).

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
!