New FX5900 graphics card problem

Just upgraded my graphics card from FX5200 to FX5900. Desktop
looks OK, got full range of resolutions up to 1280 x 1024 32-bit
color. My Thief 2 mission is 'running' OK, in fact smoother,
better frame rate BUT color or texture or something has gone
haywire. Super high contrast with totally bright colors and very
BLACK shadows. Distance is mostly all black and springs into
bright as I approach like a light automatically going on as you
approach. And I get screen res not supported message in-game on
any res I set in-game. Just persisted a little longer and it
finally dropped out to the desktop. Now the game won't run at
all and gives 'failed to set video mode'.

The only other 3D game I have is Prince of Persia and this won't
run either. It gives 'game ended unexpectedly - see readme file
for tech support'. Tried re-installing this game but no
different. So not confident about re-installing Thief.

Just downloaded the latest drivers for the card but no
difference.

The FX5900 was sold as for Win9X. I installed it on Win98 1st
edition. But here and there in the manual it refers to Win98 SE
so it is not clear whether it fully supports 1st Edition. As
said, the card works fine on the desktop. There were no errors
when installing it.

Any suggestions?

Fidcal wrote:

> Any suggestions?

You're not running into some kind of display memory problem?
Does lower resolution/lower colour depth work -- particularly
the res/col you use with your previous card?

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

On Tue, 25 May 2004 18:58:24 GMT, Anders Thulin
<ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote:

>Fidcal wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> You're not running into some kind of display memory problem?
>Does lower resolution/lower colour depth work -- particularly
>the res/col you use with your previous card?

Don't know about display memory problem. The card has 128Mb
which ought to be plenty.

Best I can remember I had the game res set at 1024 x 768 since
which I tried others but got no difference. Best I can tell from
the game is it looks low res. The sky (I'm using a Thief 1 type
sky) looks fine but most of the rest is either very bright or
totally black.

I have WinSE and Win XP on other drive partitions so I installed
Prince of Persia in XP and it runs OK so my best guess so far is
that the problem is that the graphics card cannot handle the
advanced graphics features of 3D games under Win98 1st edition.
That is NOT indicated on the box which says Win9x.