Ddr3 ram advice for an x58 i7 930 build please

georgecale

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
hey,
i'm trying to make some wise decisions on ddr3 ram for an x58 mobo w/ i7 930. as of yet, i still haven't made final determinations on the motherboard but i've been looking at the gigabyte ud3r, the asus sabertooth and the asus x58 d-e.

several of these mobos come with ram combos and i'd appreciate insights on the ram sticks in question:

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

while i love a combo deal and the attraction of saving some money up front to keep my budget down, the dicey feedback on he ocz ram has me looking away at other alternatives like corsair which seems to have a far better rep.

needless to say, i thought i'd ask the community for some input.

thanks in advance!

Good practice advice - First review the Certified DDR3 {QVL} list for whatever MOBO you choose, and then if there's nothing you like then go to the RAM Mfg website and use their Tested RAM configuration tools and input your MOBO for a larger list of compatible DDR3.

All too often people purchase DDR by price or reviews or whatever, install it a discover all sorts of oddball behavior on their rigs. Certified and XMP has the advantage of simplified installation, and the must be listed by MOBO Certified list to work - or XMP w/o being supported = Post Failure.

DDR speed - 1600 MHz with CAS 9 {lower CAS is better but more expensive} is a good all around speed unless you are OC'ing above 4+ GHz {1800 - 2000 MHz - FSB overhead}.

My recommended list is {Corsair, G.SKILL, Mushkin, and Kingston}

Hope that answers your questions & Good Luck on your build.

BTW - get the i7 950 for +$20!

georgecale

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
that's great advice, jaquith. i do think that generally speaking you're right that people don't take the extra steps to ensure ram compatibility. i'm sure i have been guilty of it in the past.

good, also, to get some brand recommendations. perhaps you have some insights about brands that must be avoided? ram, as you make clear, is not created equally and the specs only tell part of the story.

as for the 950, i'm getting my cpu at microcenter and there's about a $60 difference betwen the 930 and 950 after tax. still worth it?

thanks again!

georgecale

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

either way, i'm buying coverage protection through square trade (not service.net...had awful, awful experiences with them with another retailer...that's the only thing that is too bad about newegg).